JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Lift coils with winch (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/lift-coils-winch-344049/)

JKJonesy 10-24-2017 05:23 AM

Lift coils with winch

I currently have a 3.5” procomp lift but looking to upgrade for a better ride. My coil choices have been narrowed down to RK and Evo. I want to keep the same height but will be adding a new heavier bumper and a winch. I want to eliminate sag for an even rake.

My question is would it be better to get 4” coils in front/3” coils in the rear or the same lift coils but a spacer in the front? Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Rock Krawler Suspension 10-24-2017 11:13 AM

Copied and pasted from the other place you asked this.

Typically we use spacers to account for a Jeep that isn't balanced front to rear. Adding a large bumper and winch without similar rear modifications, tends to cause a lean forward, we would typically recommend a spacer before recommending a taller spring. That way if you eventually add a matching rear bumper/tire carrier/armor etc, you can remove the spacer and the jeep will be level.

Adam C.

SoK66 10-28-2017 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by JKJonesy (Post 4306782)
I currently have a 3.5” procomp lift but looking to upgrade for a better ride. My coil choices have been narrowed down to RK and Evo. I want to keep the same height but will be adding a new heavier bumper and a winch. I want to eliminate sag for an even rake.

My question is would it be better to get 4” coils in front/3” coils in the rear or the same lift coils but a spacer in the front? Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Best to use a spacer. Measure your "unloaded" (before adding heavier bumper & winch) lift, then measure it "loaded." Add spacers on top of the front springs of a thicknes that approximate the reduction. FWIW, weight of my bumper / winch combination reduced lift height 5/16". I added 1/2" spacers and all was well.

JKJonesy 10-30-2017 06:05 AM

Thanks ðŸ»

kmrtnsn 11-08-2017 11:51 PM

A compressed spring with a spacer is still a compressed spring. Replacing with springs that will accommodate the increase in weight on the nose is the correct solution. Look at OME springs. OME makes springs just for this problem.

Rock Krawler Suspension 11-09-2017 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn (Post 4307889)
A compressed spring with a spacer is still a compressed spring. Replacing with springs that will accommodate the increase in weight on the nose is the correct solution. Look at OME springs. OME makes springs just for this problem.

I would agree IF he is done adding parts to his Jeep. If OP were to add a rear bumper and tire carrier, his jeep would level out and the spacer would be removed which is free. If he opted for a longer spring the first time, he'd now have to deal with springs again.

Adam C

kmrtnsn 11-09-2017 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension (Post 4307909)
I would agree IF he is done adding parts to his Jeep. If OP were to add a rear bumper and tire carrier, his jeep would level out and the spacer would be removed which is free. If he opted for a longer spring the first time, he'd now have to deal with springs again.

Adam C

"Form over function".....................

Rock Krawler Suspension 11-14-2017 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn (Post 4307934)
"Form over function".....................

False, having the practicality of adjustment is not a form over function argument, it is a practicality argument. As I had previously stated, if he were done modifying the vehicle, we would recommend he go a different way but as he is not, we would wait until all weight is added first. We are not a company that is just in it for the look, we are a company that loves wheeling hard and we always will be.

Adam C