Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift coils with winch

Old 10-24-2017, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift coils with winch

I currently have a 3.5” procomp lift but looking to upgrade for a better ride. My coil choices have been narrowed down to RK and Evo. I want to keep the same height but will be adding a new heavier bumper and a winch. I want to eliminate sag for an even rake.

My question is would it be better to get 4” coils in front/3” coils in the rear or the same lift coils but a spacer in the front? Any suggestions would help. Thanks
Old 10-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Copied and pasted from the other place you asked this.

Typically we use spacers to account for a Jeep that isn't balanced front to rear. Adding a large bumper and winch without similar rear modifications, tends to cause a lean forward, we would typically recommend a spacer before recommending a taller spring. That way if you eventually add a matching rear bumper/tire carrier/armor etc, you can remove the spacer and the jeep will be level.

Adam C.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJonesy
I currently have a 3.5” procomp lift but looking to upgrade for a better ride. My coil choices have been narrowed down to RK and Evo. I want to keep the same height but will be adding a new heavier bumper and a winch. I want to eliminate sag for an even rake.

My question is would it be better to get 4” coils in front/3” coils in the rear or the same lift coils but a spacer in the front? Any suggestions would help. Thanks
Best to use a spacer. Measure your "unloaded" (before adding heavier bumper & winch) lift, then measure it "loaded." Add spacers on top of the front springs of a thicknes that approximate the reduction. FWIW, weight of my bumper / winch combination reduced lift height 5/16". I added 1/2" spacers and all was well.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ðŸ»
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A compressed spring with a spacer is still a compressed spring. Replacing with springs that will accommodate the increase in weight on the nose is the correct solution. Look at OME springs. OME makes springs just for this problem.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
A compressed spring with a spacer is still a compressed spring. Replacing with springs that will accommodate the increase in weight on the nose is the correct solution. Look at OME springs. OME makes springs just for this problem.
I would agree IF he is done adding parts to his Jeep. If OP were to add a rear bumper and tire carrier, his jeep would level out and the spacer would be removed which is free. If he opted for a longer spring the first time, he'd now have to deal with springs again.

Adam C
Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
I would agree IF he is done adding parts to his Jeep. If OP were to add a rear bumper and tire carrier, his jeep would level out and the spacer would be removed which is free. If he opted for a longer spring the first time, he'd now have to deal with springs again.

Adam C
"Form over function".....................
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
"Form over function".....................
False, having the practicality of adjustment is not a form over function argument, it is a practicality argument. As I had previously stated, if he were done modifying the vehicle, we would recommend he go a different way but as he is not, we would wait until all weight is added first. We are not a company that is just in it for the look, we are a company that loves wheeling hard and we always will be.

Adam C

Quick Reply: Lift coils with winch