Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Height Question

Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Height Question

I'm running a Teraflex 4" log arm an 37" Goodyears on my '07 JKU. My neighbor pulled up next to me yesterday in her '11 JKU with the same lift and 35" Toyos and is sitting the same or slightly higher than I am.

I know my tires are worn to nothing so that will affect it some, but it got me wondering if my springs are sagging some. How long will springs go before starting to sag?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another thing to consider is what kind of mods you have in comparison to her jeep. If you have some steel bumpers, rock rails, winch, etc. that extra weight might be the difference.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Freak

I agree with TheGrimmJeeper, a lot of extra weight like that is tough on certain lifts, but also consider the actual height of certain tires. A lot of brands say their 35's when the actual diameter is technically like 34 1/4", or "37's" are like 36 1/4". And those measurements are without the tire mounted to anything and no weight pressing on em... The ones with thicker and stronger sidewalls would actually hold the height they're measured at more also...

Last edited by Sommer13; 09-10-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Too many variables to just look and guess. If you want to know exactly how much height difference there is between the lifts though, just measure the distance between the top of the axle to a certain part of the frame, at the same spot on each rig. And even then, you still have to factor in who has a heavier rig... but you will eliminate the tire height variable.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your Jeep will only sit 1" taller than hers with you having 37s and her having 35s. If yours are totally gone and hers are fairly new then that's about 3/4" difference too. I bet your fine. A lot of people think that if they have a tire that's 2" taller their Jeep will sit 2" higher. This is wrong because the radius of the tire is only 1" bigger therefor only lifting the Jeep 1".
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Just pee on her toilet seat and call it a day.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, they are both pretty similarly equipped, but I would guess my bumper probably weigh more.

As for tire height I did figure there would only be an inch difference, but hadn't considered the mounted height vs unmounted spec.

My biggest concern was that my rig might be sagging some (like I am these days).

BTW - She would probably kick the crap out of me if I peed on her toilet seat. She's a tall woman and can get into her rig easier than I can!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
This had my laughing for the past 10 minutes at best...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
Good call... LMAO!

Quick Reply: Lift Height Question