Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Install - Front coil spring doesn't look right

Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eracer76
If all the above ideas dont help you out, its probably a Full Traction issue again.

Check out these threads, its not the first time they've had a problem with bent springs....
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...spring+problem

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...spring+problem
Man it is exactly the same issue as mine...

Do you want short-cut...Just replace your lift with another brand and good luck in contacting Full Traction Tech-line
Old 04-19-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

yeah, sounds like a real short cut to me...

just call them up, they'll warranty the spring
Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a bowed spring, actually looked bent. When I first installed my Currie arms I took a shortcut and installed the uppers without taking out the springs, or even drooping the front end (did it on the ground). It can be done, and will shave about an hour off the install, but it will cause your springs to bow pretty badly. Finally I learned the hard way that you have to unload the springs before you change caster. After I unloaded the springs, then re-installed the arms, the springs were perfectly straight.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry for the delay responding.

So at this point I am sitting on a 3" FT ultimate lift that I am very happy with.

I worked on it Friday evening and Saturady morning. I had to extend the lower control arms an additional 3/16 of an inch. The uppers were addjusted until, based on my measurements I had somewhere between 5 and 8 degrees of caster.
I am going to take the jeep into get an alignment done. THe steering seems fine. No dartiness and the traction control has only tried kicking in twice in all the driving around I did on Saturday afternoon and evening and all day I was out running around on Sunday. Still I have brand new MT Baja Radial MTZ's on her and I don't see any point wearing those down due to a misalignment problem I introduced.

I am very satisfied with the result. I cannot wait to get out hopefully next weekend and exercise her.

In the end would I do it myself or pay someone. As much time as it took (around 27 hours) I would still do it myself. Do I think it is perfect, no. Do I understand how my suspension works a whole lot better, damn straight and in the end that can only be a good thing.

So thanks to all who helped.

sgmrock was that you that pulled up alng side when I was taking my daughter and friends with a backseat full of ballons to her friends house on Sunday?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy Sh@t ! 27hrs! Don't feel bad, it took me 17hrs straight to install my 4in SL and I didn't have adj control arms. Ain't nothin like doin it yourself !
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry about the ESP going off, that will quiet down as your computer learns. Mine did.

As far as doing it yourself and it not being perfect, I would bet it is more perfect than if you took it somewhere to get it done. Shops are installing this stuff under the gun so they can essentially make some money. They probably dont spend the time checking and rechecking as you did.

Quick Reply: Lift Install - Front coil spring doesn't look right