Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Install Prices?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Install Prices?

Please, do not reply with suggestions about doing a lift kit myself. I was initially planning on doing so, but after finding out if you don't get a lift done by a certified mechanic that it could void my warranty, and owning a 2016 with only 7k miles, I'll prefer to not void it so early and just spend the money to get it installed by a shop.

Question: What should the average price for installation of a 2.5 Rubicon Express lift for a 16 JKU Sport be? From looking around I've heard 400-600 is pretty standard, but that was from posts a year or so back. Are the numbers still the same? I'm in Norfolk, VA if there is anyone from the area that would recommend shops.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know where you got your info about 'certified' mechanic but that info is wrong. What exactly is the mechanic 'certified' in??? Plenty of us have lifted our vehicles with no issues when claiming warranty work. Key is to find a lift friendly dealer. Mine laughs every time I come in because I either have a new mod or more undercarriage damage. Sorry, I can't answer your question regarding lift installation time but I suspect 4 - 6 hours is standard on that lift. I know 4WheelParts in Raleigh installs RE lifts all the time. Maybe give them a call. Ask for Troy and tell him Scooby sent you.

Good luck!!

Scooby
Old 07-12-2016, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I think it would serve you best to read your warranty paperwork yourself instead of making decisions based off of what somebody else told you. There is a lot of confusion when it comes to the factory warranty, including the dealerships. The dealership does not own your factory warranty, FCA corporate does and they know the terms more than any dealership. This question gets discussed time and time again and there will be 5 different answers as to what is covered, what isn't covered, and who needs to do the install. The only right answer is to read your warranty paperwork and find the answer for yourself, since the warranty paperwork is your binding paperwork for any warranty claim repair.

Personally, I went with the Mopar 2in lift and one of the reasons is because you then have 2 separate warranties. 1. Your OEM factory Warranty 2. The Mopar accessory warranty which includes coverage to the OEM parts if the lift is determined to be the cause of the damage to the OEM parts, as well as the lift parts. However, there are stipulations under that Mopar accessory warranty of who did the install.

The Mopar accessory lift warranty spells out what is covered if it is installed by a dealership, a licensed mechanic, or a DIYer. Maybe you should be looking at the Rubicon Express warranty as well to see what it covers and who needs to do the install?

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-12-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you are worried about warrantee, have you checked your insurance? Many policies are void if you have any suspension altercations done to the vehicle. Your information is wrong about having it done by a certified mechanic to keep the warrantee. Where did you get this information?

$95 per hour with 3-5 hours is typical.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 07-12-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I've been an engineer for a Tier 1 supplier who supplies parts to all the OEM's for the past 16 years. When I was 1st hired in, I was part of a "quick response team". It was my responsibility when a warranty report was made of an unknown failure which involved one of our supplied parts to fly out to dealerships or corporate garages to investigate and determine the root cause of the failure. So you might say, I'm pretty well tuned in to what is involved in the entire warranty process since I've worked very closely with the corporate warranty departments. They've leaned on my expertise to analyze down to the root cause if our supplied part failed or was suspected to be a contributing cause of a failure.

Corporate does not care who did the install of an accessory part. The only things they're interested in finding out is was the accessory part or the installation of that part the root cause that caused their OEM part to fail? If it wasn't, then corporate would pay for the warranty claim. Corporate then wants to further know what was the root cause of the failure, so they can further investigate it and prevent it from happening on the other 1 million JK's out in production.

If the aftermarket part or the install of that part was determined to cause the failure to the OEM part then it is no longer corporate's responsibility to cover it under your factory warranty. So this is where additional warranties outside of the OEM corporate factory warranty start to kick in. Was the failure of the OEM part due to the installation? Who installed it? Did a dealership install it? Then does that dealership provide a warranty for their installation work? Where now the dealer's installation warranty would cover the cost of replacing the failed OEM part. Was it installed by a shop with certified mechanics? Did that shop provide you a warranty for their installation work? Yes? Then the shop is responsible for replacement/repair of the OEM part that failed. No? Sorry, you went to the wrong shop.

Was the failure to the OEM part caused by the design of the aftermarket lift parts? Yes? Then corporate will not cover the cost of the repair/replacement of the OEM part. It is not their responsibility to ensure their parts don't fail due to a bad aftermarket designed part, regardless of who did the install. So does the aftermarket company who designed the lift, offer an additional warranty which states that if our parts are determined to be the cause of any of your OEM parts to fail, then we will cover the cost of replacement for those OEM parts? Most aftermarket companies don't go that far with their warranties. Aftermarket companies will cover the cost of "their" part if it failed under their warranties. Mopar does in their accessory parts warranty and that's why most people "think" that if they install a Mopar lift and have it installed at a dealership, that it won't void their factory warranty but that's not true either. Those OEM parts that failed are just additionally covered either under the dealership's installation warranty or the Mopar accessories warranty. Your corporate factory warranty does not apply but the end result to the customer ends up being the same, their failed OEM part got replaced under "warranty".

The "certified mechanic" statement makes me chuckle. What happens if your lift was installed by a certified mechanic, who works at a FCA dealership, and did the install for you in your drive way? Is your factory warranty voided or not?

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-12-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

is that so?

I was just told this when talking around about getting a lift and doing it myself when a friend told me it voids the warranty if you do it yourself. I should of looked more into it. But when I asked around after hearing that if it's true or not, I had everyone tell me that's the case, that it voids the warranty. I'll start making some calls and finding out more about it though.

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by heycody
is that so?

I was just told this when talking around about getting a lift and doing it myself when a friend told me it voids the warranty if you do it yourself. I should of looked more into it. But when I asked around after hearing that if it's true or not, I had everyone tell me that's the case, that it voids the warranty. I'll start making some calls and finding out more about it though.

Thanks again guys.

Just do the lift. Stay away from the stealership. If something breaks just take the lift off and take it back for repairs. Not a big deal, just a few coil springs.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm in the area and frequently up for a lift install.

In regards to the warranty- they're correct. If the coil from your new kit breaks then that's not covered. But your bumper to bumper, motor, trans, axles, and tcase are all still covered. They're not going to have any pity if you blow out a shock.

"Lift friendly" isn't something I've found in the area. Our dealerships are incompetent quite frankly. Did you buy from Southern? I refuse to go there for anything but parts and even then, I've got my own part numbers that I give them.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'm in the area and frequently up for a lift install.

In regards to the warranty- they're correct. If the coil from your new kit breaks then that's not covered. But your bumper to bumper, motor, trans, axles, and tcase are all still covered. They're not going to have any pity if you blow out a shock.

"Lift friendly" isn't something I've found in the area. Our dealerships are incompetent quite frankly. Did you buy from Southern? I refuse to go there for anything but parts and even then, I've got my own part numbers that I give them.
yeah I got my Jeep through Southern on Military HWY and the 2.5" RE through 4WP in Virginia Beach.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I installed my own Rock Krawler lift and run 35's on my 2014 jkur. I have been back for warranty work 3 x once for a hvac issue and twice for front axle seals. I do all my own service and nothing was said about the lift or tires.

Quick Reply: Lift Install Prices?