JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Lift Install Prices? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/lift-install-prices-335355/)

karls10jk 07-13-2016 02:51 PM

I received zero support on a clutch noise (throwout bearings) with stock tires but my friend running 37" tires had a drag link, throwout bearing, front axle, center console lock, and switch panel all replaced under warranty while he had the 37's bolted on.

I'd be happy to help install whichever kit you pick.

heycody 07-13-2016 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 4231834)
I installed my own Rock Krawler lift and run 35's on my 2014 jkur. I have been back for warranty work 3 x once for a hvac issue and twice for front axle seals. I do all my own service and nothing was said about the lift or tires.

good to hear, thanks!

2014Wrangler 07-13-2016 04:58 PM

There's a great shop in Wilson, NC called Down East Offroad. They do tons of work for private owners and new dealers all over Eastern NC. I know it's not very close to Norfolk but they do lot's of work for a dealer in Edenton, NC, which is not far from Norfolk. May be able to work out some transportation issues. If you're interested give them a call 252-246-9440. Ask for Brandon or Corey.

Rednroll 07-13-2016 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by heycody (Post 4231579)
is that so? :dontknow2:

I was just told this when talking around about getting a lift and doing it myself when a friend told me it voids the warranty if you do it yourself. I should of looked more into it. But when I asked around after hearing that if it's true or not, I had everyone tell me that's the case, that it voids the warranty. I'll start making some calls and finding out more about it though.

Thanks again guys.

That's the problem with word of mouth, the truth tends to get blurred until it's no longer the truth. Did any of these friend's produce any paperwork about it voiding the warranty? I bet they haven't.

That's why I suggested, that if you're really concerned, you should go read the paperwork from your original purchase agreement, as well as you should have been provided a booklet in addition to the owner's manual on Warranty. That way you're getting the actual information and not a bunch of hearsay and misinterpretations. There's a very long section on the warranty terms in that purchase agreement paper work and there's also state laws in place in most states which prevents OEM's from voiding your warranty due to the customer wanting to customize their own vehicle.

Here's a section strait out of my 2009 Warranty booklet:

3. What's Not Covered
3.1 Modifications Not Covered
A. Some Modifications Don’t Void the Warranties But Aren’t Covered
Certain changes that you might make to your
vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties
described in this booklet.

Examples of some of these changes are:

• installing non-Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler")
parts, components, or equipment (such as a non-
Chrysler radio or speed control); and

• using special non-Chrysler materials or
additives.

But your warranties don’t cover any part that was not on your vehicle when it left the manufacturing
plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor
do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the
installation or use of non-Chrysler parts, components, equipment, materials, or additives.

Performance or racing parts are considered to be non-Chrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused
by their use are not covered under your warranties.

Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:
• installing accessories — except for genuine
Chrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer;
• applying rustproofing or other protection products;
In short it's like I outlined. Your warranty is not voided, but if it is determined that these parts you added contributed to the failure of the OEM factory parts, then they won't cover those parts that failed due to using the aftermarket products. Also nothing about certified mechanics installing those parts in those statements.

Now Genuine Mopar parts and accessories are different like I mentioned. That's because those accessories are developed through FCA and have to go through the same validation testing on the vehicle as the OEM parts from the factory. They test the parts to ensure they don't impact the original parts, therefore FCA has established a comfort level with the design of those parts and what type of impact they will have to the factory parts. Installation by a dealer is different as well, because FCA provides the dealers the instructions on how those parts need to be installed. FCA has no control over how a certified mechanic outside of a dealership installs the parts.

Here's another important section under the Basic Limited Warranty section

C. Items Covered by Other Warranties
The following are covered by separate warranties
offered by their makers. They are not covered by the
Basic Limited Warranty:
• tires; or
items added or changed after your vehicle left the manufacturing plant, such as accessories or protection products, or items changed because of
customization or van conversion.

Be sure you get a copy of any warranty that applies
to these items from your dealer, or from the maker of
the product. You can find the tire warranty statements
in your Owner’s Literature Package.
Remember when I stated about other Warranties applying such as the Mopar Accessory Warranty? That's because within FCA they have different Warranty departments. Their Accessories group will have a Warranty department which is a separate group from the FCA Warranty group. If the Mopar accessory causes a failure to a factory OEM part the Accessory department will be charged for the Warranty repair. This is something that happens internally within FCA but to you the end result is the same. It's the same with the Dealerships. If the dealership's installation is determined to be the cause of the failure, then the dealer's installation labor warranty applies. The dealership is held responsible for the repair. When you start operating outside of those FCA circles, then you need to look for additional warranties from those outside circles as well. So does the certified mechanic shop that you go to state in their labor Warranty that if a failure occurs to your factory parts which is determined to be due to their installation work, then they will replace those factory parts? That's what the above statement is saying.

heycody 07-13-2016 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4231874)
That's the problem with word of mouth, the truth tends to get blurred until it's no longer the truth. Did any of these friend's produce any paperwork about it voiding the warranty? I bet they haven't.

That's why I suggested, that if you're really concerned, you should go read the paperwork from your original purchase agreement, as well as you should have been provided a booklet in addition to the owner's manual on Warranty. That way you're getting the actual information and not a bunch of hearsay and misinterpretations. There's a very long section on the warranty terms in that purchase agreement paper work and there's also state laws in place in most states which prevents OEM's from voiding your warranty due to the customer wanting to customize their own vehicle.

Here's a section strait out of my 2009 Warranty booklet:

In short it's like I outlined. Your warranty is not voided, but if it is determined that these parts you added contributed to the failure of the OEM factory parts, then they won't cover those parts that failed due to using the aftermarket products. Also nothing about certified mechanics installing those parts in those statements.

Now Genuine Mopar parts and accessories are different like I mentioned. That's because those accessories are developed through FCA and have to go through the same validation testing on the vehicle as the OEM parts from the factory. They test the parts to ensure they don't impact the original parts, therefore FCA has established a comfort level with the design of those parts and what type of impact they will have to the factory parts. Installation by a dealer is different as well, because FCA provides the dealers the instructions on how those parts need to be installed. FCA has no control over how a certified mechanic outside of a dealership installs the parts.

Here's another important section under the Basic Limited Warranty section

Remember when I stated about other Warranties applying such as the Mopar Accessory Warranty? That's because within FCA they have different Warranty departments. Their Accessories group will have a Warranty department which is a separate group from the FCA Warranty group. If the Mopar accessory causes a failure to a factory OEM part the Accessory department will be charged for the Warranty repair. This is something that happens internally within FCA but to you the end result is the same. It's the same with the Dealerships. If the dealership's installation is determined to be the cause of the failure, then the dealer's installation labor warranty applies. The dealership is held responsible for the repair. When you start operating outside of those FCA circles, then you need to look for additional warranties from those outside circles as well. So does the certified mechanic shop that you go to state in their labor Warranty that if a failure occurs to your factory parts which is determined to be due to our installation work, then we will replace those factory parts? That's what the above statement is indicating.

woah :what?: thanks for all the information! after all this I'm looking at trying to meet with Karl whenever he's available and learning how to install the lift.

thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

Rednroll 07-13-2016 08:26 PM

At the end of the day, Warranty coverage is setup on basic common sense. If you have a lift installed and your factory radio stops working while you still have bumper to bumper coverage, no one from FCA is going to deny your warranty claim to get your radio repaired due to you installing a lift. Thus, your warranty is NOT voided. Now if you install a lift and your spring perch breaks off of your front axle and you make a warranty claim to have your axle repaired, then FCA would receive that claim and look at it and start asking questions like, "How come we haven't had any other axle spring perches break on the other 1 Million JK's out on the road? What makes this one so different? Maybe we need to look at this a little closer to figure out what's going on? Maybe our axle manufacturer DANA had some type of manufacturing problem? Let's get ahold of the DANA experts and discuss this with them." Then when FCA and the DANA engineers look at the details sent to them from the dealer, they look at it and find out a spring was installed from an aftermarket lift that caused more stress than that perch was originally designed to support, then they will likely say, "Sorry, but the installation of those springs on that lift caused your axle spring perch to fail. Hopefully, Rubicon express provided you a warranty that covers the repair of the factory parts with that lift you purchased from them and they will cover the cost to repair your axle."

Another instance could be with that same axle perch breaking is that you make the warranty claim and FCA looks at it and says, "yeah, we've had 10 other axle perches break because DANA had a problem with their welding process in production in February of 2012 which they have since fixed. Was that axle manufactured during February of 2012? Oh it was.....yeah, go ahead and repair their axle under the OEM factory warranty."