Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift kit considerations - 3" for $500 vs. $1700!?

Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit considerations - 3" for $500 vs. $1700!?

Hi all, first post on this board -- I ordered my JK a couple days ago, so now that all the really hard decisions are behind me (jeep or rescue green!?) my attention has turned to the finer points of achieving the proper lift/tire setup.

Specifically, I'm looking at those two 3" kits available from full traction, the deluxe one being more than 3x the price. I see that the expensive one includes "adjustable upper and lower control arms" as well as track bars.

What are all the considerations when choosing between the two? i.e. is it just durability? are there ride comfort/capability tradeoffs? I'm also sort of interested in the 2" kit that's very inexpensive, but it seems like there may be other down sides there besides the extra inch of lift. Can someone shed some light on this?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can only fit 33's with a 2" but 35's with a 3". The expensive kit is a long arm kit that will replace more of your components with more rugged ones. It cost more because it replaces more. It is tuffer but it should be based on your needs, the stock stuff is sturdy too.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nozz
You can only fit 33's with a 2" but 35's with a 3". The expensive kit is a long arm kit that will replace more of your components with more rugged ones. It cost more because it replaces more. It is tuffer but it should be based on your needs, the stock stuff is sturdy too.
Actually, the more expensive kit is not a long arm kit. It's just a very complete short arm kit that replaces all the factory suspension components with Full Traction heavy duty ones.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
What are all the considerations when choosing between the two? i.e. is it just durability? are there ride comfort/capability tradeoffs? I'm also sort of interested in the 2" kit that's very inexpensive, but it seems like there may be other down sides there besides the extra inch of lift. Can someone shed some light on this?
The 2" Econo kit is just that, a basic but affordable kit that'll get you little higher up and allow you to sit on 33" tires. The 3" Economy kit will get you lifted and allow you to fit 35" tires. The 3" Ultimate kit will get you sitting on 35" tires too but it will also replace all your factory suspension components with heavy duty component that are also designed to give you maximum performance/flex on the trail.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Actually, the more expensive kit is not a long arm kit. It's just a very complete short arm kit that replaces all the factory suspension components with Full Traction heavy duty ones.
So the geometry will be exactly the same whether I go with the heavier duty replacements or the factory parts? If so, ride and comfort and handling should be the same also between the two, right? It seems like it would just affect durability...

It also mentions that the upper and lower control arms are adjustable -- is this mainly used for tweaking to a particular driving style, or is there the possibility that you would need this adjustment after installing the lift to regain proper alignment?

Sorry if these are naive questions that have been asked before. This will be my first Jeep and I want to do it right.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

So the geometry will be exactly the same whether I go with the heavier duty replacements or the factory parts? If so, ride and comfort and handling should be the same also between the two, right? It seems like it would just affect durability...

It also mentions that the upper and lower control arms are adjustable -- is this mainly used for tweaking to a particular driving style, or is there the possibility that you would need this adjustment after installing the lift to regain proper alignment?

Sorry if these are naive questions that have been asked before. This will be my first Jeep and I want to do it right.
No apologies necessary, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

Now, regarding your questions, the geometry of your suspension will be off a bit after lifting your Jeep any height. Usually, the change is pretty insignificant but it is there and it can effect the ride quality of your Jeep especially if you are on the higher end of the spectrum. New adjustable lower control arms offer more than just durability and flex capabilites on the trail, they also allow you to reposition your axles to the correct location under your Jeep. Adjustable upper rear control arms will allow you to set your driveline to the proper angle and adjustable upper front arms will allow you to set your caster to the proper angle as well. Without an adjustable track bar or relocation bracket, you will not be able to recenter your axles after installing a lift. Granted, the shift is very small and even unnoticable on something like a 2" lift but once you get in the 3"+ range, it usually is enough to be seen and be a potential rubbing problem for your tires.

Hope that helps you out
Old 10-13-2006, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

That helps a lot, thanks!

I think the decision for me is whether to go for the full-featured 3" lift and run 35's or the more affordable (and less likely to mess up my geometry) 2" boost and be happy with some 33's. From what you've said, I don't think I'd want to risk the "economy" 3" kit.

Man, I really love the look of that full traction & purejeep setup on 3"/35's you have in the project-jk gallery, but that's shaping up to be several thousand dollars more expensive...
Old 10-13-2006, 07:33 AM
JK-Forum Founder

That helps a lot, thanks!

I think the decision for me is whether to go for the full-featured 3" lift and run 35's or the more affordable (and less likely to mess up my geometry) 2" boost and be happy with some 33's. From what you've said, I don't think I'd want to risk the "economy" 3" kit.

Man, I really love the look of that full traction & purejeep setup on 3"/35's you have in the project-jk gallery, but that's shaping up to be several thousand dollars more expensive...
Please don't misunderstand me. I have no doubts that the 3" Economy Lift will work great. The kit does come with track bar relocation brackets which should recenter your axles just fine and the factory control arms are long enough that the geometry shift most likely won't be enough to make a significant change in your ride quality. The best part about the Economy kit is that you can always upgrade your control arms as you need/can afford it.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

The 2" Econo kit is just that, a basic but affordable kit that'll get you little higher up and allow you to sit on 33" tires. The 3" Economy kit will get you lifted and allow you to fit 35" tires. The 3" Ultimate kit will get you sitting on 35" tires too but it will also replace all your factory suspension components with heavy duty component that are also designed to give you maximum performance/flex on the trail.
Will a 2" BB fit 34" tires comfortably w/o rubbing or any other adverse consequences?

Rubicon + 0" lift = 32" tires
Rubicon + 2" BB = 34" tires :confused:
Rubicon + 3" BB = 35" tires
Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

... and what about Teraflex's 2.5" BB that claims to accomadate a 35" tire. Is this correct? Are 35" tires too big?:confused:

Quick Reply: Lift kit considerations - 3" for $500 vs. $1700!?