Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift question

Old 05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift question

Just lifted my 07 4dr jk. And put 315/70r17s on. I know I need gears, but besides that. Are there any other parts that I'm going to need for my jeep to function properly?

Reason I'm asking is bc I've been reading alot about tearing a boot??????? Or something about the driveshaft.

I do alot of 4 wheelin. And I don't wanna get stranded. Any input helps. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

How high of a lift? I just went up about 4" and decided to go ahead with new track bars. Centered up my axle and helped out with my DW.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

What size and kind of lift, what options did u get with lift, etc etc
Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming a 4 inch lift since ur rockin 35's?

If thats the case then yes you'll need more stuff to eliminate potential problems.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh sorry it's a 4" rc lift
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

with the 4" lift you will need at least a new front drive shaft, your stock shaft will last you a bit but once you start going off road and flexin it will go quickly. tom wood make a good shaft as teraflex also.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

With a 4door, the rear shaft should be ok.

But keep an eye on that front shaft.
- when flexed, or on a lift at the shop, it will contact the crossmember skidplate. This makes some scrapes and marks, but isn't a huge deal. Lower the skid, cut a notch out, remove it, go with an aftermarket skid, or a narrower doublecardan shaft.
- when flexed, it will move over and contact the corner of the tranny pan. This will tear the big boot in the middle of the shaft. Again, not a huge issue, as all it does is cover the slip joint between the two halves of the driveshaft. Pull the boot off, and you can keep driving on it.
- a bigger issue is that you may start o bash in the corner of the tranny pan. Definitely do some testing. Flex it and crawl under and look to see how much room you have.
- and you will also want to keep an eye on the joint at the tcase end of the shaft. With the steeper angles after the lift, that little boot will be 'pinched', and will eventually wear through. Once it does, it will start spitting grease (which you will see as a ring around the undercarriage above the joint), when it loses enough grease, it will dry out, get noisey, and finally seize. You don't want to be on the freeway if/when that happens.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll want adjustable front upper or lower control arms to adjust your caster to a better setting unless your content with how it drives now.

Others have replaced both front and rear track bars as well.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok. I appreciate the help. I guess I should start shopping around for the driveshaft and/or a aftermarket skid plate. I guess another expense the old lady is gonna flip out over!!! Lol

Quick Reply: Lift question