Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift and Wheel Help!!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and Wheel Help!!

I'm US military living in Germany. I just ordered my first Jeep (2013 4dr Crush Rubicon). I'm looking to put a 4" lift and 35s on it as soon as it comes in (mid-Dec to mid-Jan). My plan was to go with the Teraflex longarm and shocks that Northridge has on special right now. I found out there's a need for a cutting torch and welder, which I have no access to here in Germany. The guy on the phone with Northridge turned me onto an AEV 4" short-arm. After talking to him for quite some time, I think the short arm would fit my needs. He said this was an easy install with no cutting/welding. Can I get inputs on this lift?

I then hung up and called desert rat to ask some questions about a tire/wheel combo that I found on there. I was looking at the 35" BFG KM2s and XD Lonestar 18" rims. One problem I was asking about was the back-spacing. They only come in 5 and everything I've read on here recommends 4.5 max. The guy told me you never want to run spacers. He also asked me if I'd ever heard of death wobble. I told him I'd read about it on here and didn't really know what caused it. He told me this was a bad combination. I felt like I was going nowhere with this guy. Can anyone fill me in on my backspacing issue and the risks of DW with this setup? I'm open to tire suggestions. I really like those wheels, though.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Colby
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by touchngohi
I'm US military living in Germany. I just ordered my first Jeep (2013 4dr Crush Rubicon). I'm looking to put a 4" lift and 35s on it as soon as it comes in (mid-Dec to mid-Jan). My plan was to go with the Teraflex longarm and shocks that Northridge has on special right now. I found out there's a need for a cutting torch and welder, which I have no access to here in Germany. The guy on the phone with Northridge turned me onto an AEV 4" short-arm. After talking to him for quite some time, I think the short arm would fit my needs. He said this was an easy install with no cutting/welding. Can I get inputs on this lift?

I then hung up and called desert rat to ask some questions about a tire/wheel combo that I found on there. I was looking at the 35" BFG KM2s and XD Lonestar 18" rims. One problem I was asking about was the back-spacing. They only come in 5 and everything I've read on here recommends 4.5 max. The guy told me you never want to run spacers. He also asked me if I'd ever heard of death wobble. I told him I'd read about it on here and didn't really know what caused it. He told me this was a bad combination. I felt like I was going nowhere with this guy. Can anyone fill me in on my backspacing issue and the risks of DW with this setup? I'm open to tire suggestions. I really like those wheels, though.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Colby
Find a wheel with 4.75 or less backspacing and you won't have a problem.
Spacers are fine! He is full of crap.
There are some that don't like the AEV lift because it doesn't use adjustable lower control arms I think. I believe it uses a drop bracket for the stock LCA. AEV says great things about them.
I would think you would be happy with any of the more popular bolt-on short arm kits.WOL, I believe, has a post stating that the long arms are not necessary for a 4" lift. I trust his expertise and I am pretty happy with my Teraflex lift. It is perfect for 35" tires.

Don't take my word for it, read through the FAQ.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown626
Find a wheel with 4.75 or less backspacing and you won't have a problem.
Spacers are fine! He is full of crap.
There are some that don't like the AEV lift because it doesn't use adjustable lower control arms I think. I believe it uses a drop bracket for the stock LCA. AEV says great things about them.
I would think you would be happy with any of the more popular bolt-on short arm kits.WOL, I believe, has a post stating that the long arms are not necessary for a 4" lift. I trust his expertise and I am pretty happy with my Teraflex lift. It is perfect for 35" tires.

Don't take my word for it, read through the FAQ.
That's my issue is the "bolt-on" problem. After digging around, I ran into the Full Traction 4" Long-Arm. Any opinions on that one? The only problem is I'll have to find shocks too. The one I found comes without shocks.

Quick Reply: Lift and Wheel Help!!