Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifted 2dr w/Driveline vibes?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
No, but tires not being balanced would.
I'm not being antagonistic...I want to find the solution.

But if tires being out of balance caused my vibes, why would removing the lift kit instantly get rid of the vibrations?

That makes no sense at all.

Teej,

Eventually I'll try again with an OME and some adjustable upper arms to mess with the angle.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike JK
I'm not being antagonistic...I want to find the solution.

But if tires being out of balance caused my vibes, why would removing the lift kit instantly get rid of the vibrations?

That makes no sense at all.
Okay, I guess I would need to know more about the kind of lift you had and what all components came with it. Also, is it safe to assume that you were running stock tires before and after the lift? Are you still running the same tires?

I agree that what you are saying makes no sense at all and unfortunately, unless I were to experience what you are saying for myself, it would be difficult for me to understand.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being out of alignment won't cause vibrations.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, I guess I would need to know more about the kind of lift you had and what all components came with it. Also, is it safe to assume that you were running stock tires before and after the lift? Are you still running the same tires?

I agree that what you are saying makes no sense at all and unfortunately, unless I were to experience what you are saying for myself, it would be difficult for me to understand.
It was a superlift 2" BB, very straightforward install. Stock wheels and tires, almost new Rubi, about 4000 miles on it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

It was a superlift 2" BB, very straightforward install. Stock wheels and tires, almost new Rubi, about 4000 miles on it.
When you did the install, did you make sure to reinstall the factory rubber isolators or did you just install the polyurethane spacers without them? If you didn't install the isolators as many people tend to do, you might have been feeling engine vibrations. Not 100% sure, but it is something that I would have looked at. Also, when you did the install, did you make sure your front coils were seated properly in their perches, top and bottom? If not, this could have caused issues as well. Another thing, were any track bars or control arms disconnected or removed during installation? If so, did you make sure to tighten them to factory torque specs while your Jeep was on the ground? This is a very important step that many people don't do and it could have made a difference as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you did the install, did you make sure to reinstall the factory rubber isolators or did you just install the polyurethane spacers without them? If you didn't install the isolators as many people tend to do, you might have been feeling engine vibrations. Not 100% sure, but it is something that I would have looked at. Also, when you did the install, did you make sure your front coils were seated properly in their perches, top and bottom? If not, this could have caused issues as well. Another thing, were any track bars or control arms disconnected or removed during installation? If so, did you make sure to tighten them to factory torque specs while your Jeep was on the ground? This is a very important step that many people don't do and it could have made a difference as well.

Yes to everything except the factory isolators...Superlift's instructions said to discard them. This is interesting. The poly spacers were a lot firmer than the soft rubber isolators.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Yes to everything except the factory isolators...Superlift's instructions said to discard them. This is interesting. The poly spacers were a lot firmer than the soft rubber isolators.
Well, I'd be willing to be that might have been your problem right there.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I'd be willing to be that might have been your problem right there.

Tempting, but...

If Superlift's instructions say to get rid of them, then I'd bet that 90% or more of people who install the kits don't use them, and very few other people have reported any sort of vibrations after a lift.

I think what I'll try next Daystar .75" spacers and 33s. If I get no vibes with .75, I'll use spring compressors to stick another one in the back and see what happens. If I get no vibes there, I'll put another in the front and be happy with 1.5" lift and 33s.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Tempting, but...

If Superlift's instructions say to get rid of them, then I'd bet that 90% or more of people who install the kits don't use them, and very few other people have reported any sort of vibrations after a lift.

I think what I'll try next Daystar .75" spacers and 33s. If I get no vibes with .75, I'll use spring compressors to stick another one in the back and see what happens. If I get no vibes there, I'll put another in the front and be happy with 1.5" lift and 33s.
So far as I know, Superlift would be the only company that would specifically state to NOT reuse the rubber isolators. Like I said, it was just a thought and as you've indicated, it was the one thing you didn't check.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Isolators are a cheap fix at least......albeit it might be that super lift spacers do not mate with them...or, the guy that wrote the instructions was not thinking, etc.

Quick Reply: Lifted 2dr w/Driveline vibes?