Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LNG Conversion

Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LNG Conversion

Just converted the Pentastar to also run on LNG. A 100 liter bottle(takes 80L LNG) fits easily in the trunk, giving the same capacity on LNG as gasoline tank. The engine runs as powerful as on gasoline and as per the tuning, it uses 5-30%(depending on the speed) more LNG fuel than gasoline to achieve that. At city speeds, the LNG fuel economy is almost the same as gasoline, while LNG is half the price of gasoline in Europe and pretty much every gas station has LNG as well.

On LNG the Jeep can still drive 120mph on the autobahn and devours 30% more LNG (30 L/100km(9-10mpg) vs 21 L/100km on gasoline) . Driving above 5000rpm for extended periods of time on LNG is not recommended as the exhaust valves run hotter on LNG. The Gasitaly (GASITALY S.R.L.) conversation costs $900 including optional oil lubricant for valves, labor and tuning. Breakeven is on the 10th tankful.

When installing the system discovered where my nasty oil leak was coming from: the oil cooler/oil filter assembly, a weak point for the pentastar. This is the second failure on the engine in 125k miles. First was thermostat leaking at 40k.

LNG doubled my range, saves me 40% on fuel costs, and best you can breathe the exhaust. No smell, when driving with the top down. I probably have less emissions than a Tesla charged from coal-fired powerplant.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

No doubt on the emissions and your engine will run perfectly clean. I have read you will have a power loss with propane, is that the reason it uses more fuel ? to be able to go the same speed you did before ?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So where's the write up and link to the exact kit you bought? I see they've got a couple different kits for the 6 cylinder. It sounds interesting. How well does it pull a load with this system?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dahreno
No doubt on the emissions and your engine will run perfectly clean. I have read you will have a power loss with propane, is that the reason it uses more fuel ? to be able to go the same speed you did before ?

LNG dosent have the same energy density as gasoline so yes it takes more to get the same amount of work done.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Propane is pretty sweet I'm sure LNG is probably about the same. I had a 427 Chevy with 360k on the OD and the motor was so clean no carbon or junk in it. Some day I might look into doing this to the jeep.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

What year do you have? 2014s are the ones known for the oil cooler leaks.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:15 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Yes. The LNG computer is tuned to provide the exact same power as the gasoline computer. So the LNG computer consumes more to compensate for the lower energy of the LNG.
Originally Posted by dahreno
Old 05-02-2017, 04:17 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2012 and the oil cooler is leaking crazy. Still struggling to find the part in Europe.
Originally Posted by goaterguy
What year do you have? 2014s are the ones known for the oil cooler leaks.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:18 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

LNG is another world for propane.
Originally Posted by cedarraider
Propane is pretty sweet I'm sure LNG is probably about the same. I had a 427 Chevy with 360k on the OD and the motor was so clean no carbon or junk in it. Some day I might look into doing this to the jeep.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:23 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

It was a GasItaly certified shop that did the conversion so I cannot really do the step by step. The tank and the pipes installation is simple. They spliced the ECU cables and connected each and every one to the LNG ECU, this way the LNG ECU does everything as of you are running on gas. This is not a do it in the garage conversion, but also in no way it should cost the $10 000 USD charged in the US. Well it cost $1000 including parts and labor in Europe.
Originally Posted by karls10jk
So where's the write up and link to the exact kit you bought? I see they've got a couple different kits for the 6 cylinder. It sounds interesting. How well does it pull a load with this system?

Quick Reply: LNG Conversion