JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Lock nut/lockwasher (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/lock-nut-lockwasher-295720/)

ronixwrangler 02-02-2014 08:09 AM

Lock nut/lockwasher

I didn't think about this till the last minute, I've decided while installing my RK lift that I'm going to use the 9/16 8 grade bolt for the front track bar and control arms, I found the bolts at a local hardware store but they don't have the lock nut only the lock washer, is it ok to use the lock washer on front trackbar instead of the lock nut?? We installed rear last night, just waiting to see what I need to do for nut/washer for the front. Sitting at a pretty decent rake right now lol

Maertz 02-02-2014 08:10 AM

should be fine, but you can add loctite if you have any to help also. You could always swap nuts down the road also if it bugs you.

ronixwrangler 02-02-2014 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Maertz (Post 3826435)
should be fine, but you can add loctite if you have any to help also. You could always swap nuts down the road also if it bugs you.

Awesome, thanks!

ronjenx 02-02-2014 08:29 AM

Lock washers are no better than no locking device. (In fact, they may be worse in some cases.)
Once compressed from bolt torque, it is just a flat washer with a crack in it.
If the nut backs off enough to bring back the spring tension feature of the lock washer, the joint has lost its integrity.
At that point, the joint has failed.

OH9JK 02-02-2014 08:33 AM

9/16" hardware didn't fit on the RK arms and track bars I just installed last week.

I had to find my old OEM hardware.

Maertz 02-02-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 3826458)
9/16" hardware didn't fit on the RK arms and track bars I just installed last week.

I had to find my old OEM hardware.

rk is one of the only kits those dont work on, you have to drill them. the rks come in the correct metric size.

Maertz 02-02-2014 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 3826451)
Lock washers are no better than no locking device. (In fact, they may be worse in some cases.)
Once compressed from bolt torque, it is just a flat washer with a crack in it.
If the nut backs off enough to bring back the spring tension feature of the lock washer, the joint has lost its integrity.
At that point, the joint has failed.

this is true also. mine held that way for a long time, but i did eventually switch to a nylock and loctite. I wouldnt worry in the mean time till you can find something else. especially if you used a fine thread bolt.

ronixwrangler 02-02-2014 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone, I thought u had to replace the oem bolts with the bigger 9/16 to prevent DW??? Is this fact or fiction??

ronjenx 02-02-2014 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ronixwrangler (Post 3826535)
Thanks everyone, I thought u had to replace the oem bolts with the bigger 9/16 to prevent DW??? Is this fact or fiction??

The OEM bolts are smaller than the holes they go through in the arms and the brackets.
The bolts in the kits are big enough to take up the slack, and I think they also have finer threads.
So, yes, the bigger bolts can mitigate one potential source of DW.

Maertz 02-02-2014 10:16 AM

they also should be shouldered instead of full thread.