Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locker

Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locker

What locker would you recomend in a 30 front?? I have 07 unlimited stick with 4.88 gears. The axle has C's and is sleeved. I was going to lock it when I had gears done, but heard that it was a bad idea. I now want to after a couple wheeling trips.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Your going to get opinions all up and down the scale. So here's mine.

I have a JKU and when wheeling I'm always having to bump it hard ( insert joke ) to get my rear axle over the rocks Etc. the 44 is already a strong axle so I would lock the rear with a selectable locker. The 30 is still a 30 at the end of the day.

With so many different scenarios driving style, terrain, cash flow etc. locking the rear is the most frugal way to go. And the best bang for your buck!

Sent from my i5 using just one thumb and tapatalk
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

I would recommend a Lunchbox type locker for the front, especially if you've already got the LSD in the rear 44. Aussie, Spartan, and a few other guys make good ones pricing about $250-$300. They're really easy to install, so you can do it in your driveway and not have to drop another $200 on install labor.

Basically, what they do is, when one tire starts slipping, it engages both tires. Similar to the LSD in the rear. It won't affect your on-road performance granted you keep it out of 4WD on the street.

There's some great reviews done on several lockers on here. Use the search feature and learn which would be best for you.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Basically, what they do is, when one tire starts slipping, it engages both tires. Similar to the LSD in the rear.
Sorry but this needed some correction.

An automatic locker like a Detroit Locker, Grizzly, Spartan, Aussie or Lock Right is always locked until traction on the outside tire allows the outside axle to overspeed and compensate for the difference in distance each tire must cover to navigate the corner. Once equal wheelspeed is reached, the unit will once again lock the outer axle. If there is little traction, both tires will be fully locked thru the corner. In 2 wheel drive with no torque going to the front axle, these lockers are close to invisible.

Like other have mentioned, locking the front of a 30 isn't the best plan. Once you add good axles the ring and pinion become the weak point.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed a lunchbox in the rear, and it's far less 'transparent' than I thought it would be. You can feel that it locks and unlocks as you shift, more so if you are cornering, and it can get rough through tight corners. If you only use 4wd for wheeling and only want one in front, go for it. If you use 4wd on the street (snow and the like) I would suggest going either selectable locker or a limited slip, the street manners - especially with a stick shift - are not all they were cracked up to be.

I'm gonna keep my locker for now, but I will look into a selectable in the future, and I will probably put a limited slip in the front when I re-gear.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor

You will want a selectable locker in the front. ARB or Eaton would be my choice.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

I was just at a local off road shop and am looking at doing the same thing. Going 4.56 and was thinking lockers or LSD. I have the D33 front and D44 in the rear, they thought that something like the Detroit TruLoc in the front would be a good choice and I could leave the rear alone or do the same in the rear. This is a daily driver, about 70 miles a day, and I need to be able to use 4WD on the road in the winter for snow. What are your thoughts, do you need something front and rear, can you do LSD front and lockers rear?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by DrDanimalSize
I just installed a lunchbox in the rear, and it's far less 'transparent' than I thought it would be.
My comment regarding 'transparency' was direct at a front axle in 2WD. An auto locker in a rear axle is much less noticeable in a rig with an AT. It's also less intrusive with a 60 than a 44.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by grover0878
I was just at a local off road shop and am looking at doing the same thing. Going 4.56 and was thinking lockers or LSD. I have the D33 front and D44 in the rear, they thought that something like the Detroit TruLoc in the front would be a good choice and I could leave the rear alone or do the same in the rear. This is a daily driver, about 70 miles a day, and I need to be able to use 4WD on the road in the winter for snow. What are your thoughts, do you need something front and rear, can you do LSD front and lockers rear?
Truetracs front and rear are a great choice for a moderate wheeler. Truetrac front Detroit or selectable rear is also pretty decent but, as mentioned above, some don't like the clunky-ness for a DD with a manual trans.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Can the TrueTrac be added as easily as say the Aussie lockers? I was reading that the Aussie could be installed by the average at home mechanic in their garage. Just wondering if I could get gears installed and then install the lockers or TrueTrac or if it would be better to do the installs all at once?

Quick Reply: locker