Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locker Indicator Lights Just Blink

Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker Indicator Lights Just Blink

I recently had new 5.13 gears installed on my 4 door Rubicon. When I got home I tried the lockers and confirmed they were engaging, however, the indicator lights just blinked. I took it back to the shop and they had it for 2.5 weeks. They replaced the sensors, installed them with the correct tolerances, checked the wiring and still could not get them to stop blinking when the lockers were engaged. Has anyone had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I am not to concerned since the lockers work, however, I would like the indicator lights to work properly.

Any information on this would be helpful.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

This thread is old, but I'm having this same exact problem after upgrading to 5.13. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jayrav
This thread is old, but I'm having this same exact problem after upgrading to 5.13. Suggestions?

Thanks!

x2 anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Had your same problem at 4Wheel Parts when they put on my
5.13"s. They bent the sensors. Check to see it they are bent.
2.5 weeks!!!! Mine was the next day.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Search the forum... I think I remember a thred where the sensor on the inside was not installed correctly. Apparently there is a locking tab inside that sometimes comes loose.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is a very common problem from new gear installations. When the light is blinking it is telling you that it is sending power to the diff. When it goes solid is when the plunger inside the diff is pulled.

Most shops do not realize that you have to pull the plunger all the way to the stop, then install the differential. An easy trick is to use a match stick to hold it out while you install the diff. Then pull the matchstick and the plunger will collapse and rest on the plate. When you engage the locker this plate moves in toward the differential pulling out the plunger and confirming engagement.

If you do not do that it will still go together and not hurt anything, although the plunger can get bent in the process. The locker will still engage, but the light will only flash and never turn solid.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-02-2008, 03:55 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When getting new gears, sometimes the sensor is re-installed wrong and that causes the lights to keep blinking. If the sensor is put in after the carrier is installed, then it won't function correctly.

This is what the sensor looks like when installed wrong:

This is what the sensor looks like when installed correctly:
Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I want to thanks all of you guys for your help, but I must go into detail about my problem. The rear locker is working fine, but the dash light keeps blinking after disengagement. Even after I turn off/on my JK. When engaged dash light is solid. This started after the first offroad use since regearing. I was also in deep water when I encountered this problem. Is there a possibility that this is water related? I ask because I explained to my mech about the locker plunger position (with a very similar pic WOL showed earlier)before regearing and the front locker is working fine.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jayrav; 12-02-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Suggestions? Thoughts? Somebody
Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayrav
....I was also in deep water when I encountered this problem. Is there a possibility that this is water related?Suggestions?............ Thoughts? Somebody
I had what sounds like this same issue. Let me copy the other post...

EDIT: Ok. So when I took mine in because of this, they said there was water in the differential. I have never had in it deep water but i am guessing the previous owner did. Here is what the parts sheet said when I got it back after 2 weeks.

Cause: E
03401515 Case, differential - Replace all others

1 68003569AA Sensor-Axle Locker
1 68036128AA Case-differential
2 4874469 *Lubricant
1 4318060AB *Lubricant
03401560 Pinion bearings- replace

Can anyone elucidate on the parts that were replaced and what the cause could have been? It sounds like water in the diff is a common denominator between our problems. I would suggest looking at the fluid from your diffs. If its bad, replace it THEN take it to the dealer about the problem. The service guy told me the parts and labor would have been around 2K if not under warranty. After they found water in the diff, I am surprised they covered it.

...sorry for the hijack

Last edited by smalls; 12-04-2008 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Locker Indicator Lights Just Blink