Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Gas Cap

Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Gas Cap

Two of my hunting buddies had their gas tanks contaminated with soda this past week and their tires slashed.

Can't prevent activists from slashing my tires, but does anyone know if one of the online retailers sells a locking gas cap?? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer!! You can have it keyed to your Jeep key.....
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took mine off because it was annoying if anyone wants it you can have it for free but I'm in Canada so shipping to the states might be too much $$
Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

awesome - just called them and they confirmed thay they'll do it - thanks for the quick reply bro'
Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

fyi - from the dealer

cap with 2 small new keys $12
cap keyed to my ignition key - $100
Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally I wasn't worried about a lock or gas cap cover. Then a friend mentioned that I might want to get a locking cap, not because someone might steal gas but because it makes it too easy to put things into the tank.

Needless to say it spooked me enough I went down the next day and got the locking cap from the dealership. ($12)

Sorry to hear that happened. I think if that sort of thing was common in Montana there'd be folks setting up a decoy vehicle and waiting for those spineless wankers to show up. When you're miles from the nearest paved road, what happens in the forest, stays in the forest.

There is a story here (I'm assuming urban legend) that a few years ago animal rights folks showed up with bells to scare off the mountain goats during hunting season. Some hunters caught up with them, held them at gun point while they tied them up and then locked them in the horse trailer while they continued their hunt. According to the story the only ones that were charged were the animal rights people, it's illegal to interfere hunters. I don't know that it's true, but still a good story.

Beel
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

$12 for the cap, and $88 to key it to your Jeep key! That's out-freakin-rageous!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two different caps. The $12 is lockable but is not keyed to the ignition. The other is more plus the cost of getting it keyed. I paid a total of $65 from the dealer to get it keyed to my ignition.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive been debating on the purchase but really $12 isnt so bad.... Lord knows if as prices skyrocket again we are nice targets for gas syphoning (sp)

O and i have dated some crazy girls before that would love to put some sugar in the tank... You know what they say though, crazy in the head, great in bed.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by murray8144
fyi - from the dealer

cap with 2 small new keys $12
cap keyed to my ignition key - $100

For the price difference I got the $12 one... I can't see paying that much for a locking gas cap. I've used these for years and they don't last forever I've had to break off one or two locking gas caps on my truck b/c the lock quit working (or worked too well-- not unlocking).

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap