Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locking gas door?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking gas door?

I know this doesn't really affect the performance but I am interested in a locking gas door for my JK; not the filler cap but an aftermarket door. I found one on an auction website that is locking but was wondering if anyone has it already and how hard it was to install? I really don't want to be drilling into my new baby.

here's a pic

Last edited by dlud51; 01-03-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a si9milar one which I also found on that auction site. brelieve the mfg was Rampage

No drilling required on mine

mine has 4 mini philips head screws and the unit scewrs onto the existing trim ring. Been on there about a month. Screws at 12:00 3:00 6:00 and 9:00.

I guess one could rip or pry it off and that would hold true for any cap but I figured it woiuld deter most persons interested in either taking gas or adding something bad.

couple pics at my photobucket

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCN7975.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCN7974.jpg

I personally would not buy one which required drilling into the Jeep
Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just so I'm clear, the screws are self-tapping into the platic trim? Isn't that drilling into the Jeep?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Just so I'm clear, the screws are self-tapping into the platic trim? Isn't that drilling into the Jeep?
I think you remove the screws in the trim and basically are replacing them with longer screws from the cover.. screws all the way back into the trim.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help and the pics sandtoy. The picture I posted is the same one you have from the auctionsite. I think I am goin to ordered one soon. I really like the look!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

where did you find the fuel door and how much is it and do they have it in chrome color
Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

I called the local Jeep dealer and they wanted $100. How does this one compare in price and in looks?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guess your technically correct. They screw from the outside side edge into the plastic trim ring only. Nothing touches the paint and they do not go thru any metal. I could take some different pics tomorrow if you would like.

Found them on that auction site. Bud the minimum and nobody elkse bid so I got them much cheaper, like half of the $100 mopar equiv.

I am satisfied with the purchase to date. I like the look, easy 5 minute install and serves it's purpose as well. I knew I wanted a door and the locking feature was an added bonus. Just my .02

Last edited by Sandtoy; 01-03-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rocky Mountain Suspension is selling the locking gas door in both chrome and black.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper

Originally Posted by Sandtoy
Guess your technically correct. They screw from the outside side edge into the plastic trim ring only. Nothing touches the paint and they do not go thru any metal. I could take some different pics tomorrow if you would like.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking it did. I looked at the parts spec for the filler cap trim and couldn't see any screws, so I assumed it had to go into the plastic. I suppose with that many screws it's quite sturdy. No need for more pictures - looks OK to me!

Quick Reply: Locking gas door?