Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Hood Latches

Old 05-17-2016, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
Agree this is a good way to go. I took a similar approach, with slightly different parts. Another hood lock that uses Jeep key and Rugged Ridge latches.... Secure, no extra keys, and no more hood flutter.
If you're referring to this lock @ Rugged Ridge 11252.05 Hood Lock Kit, 07-15 Jeep Wrangler (JK) do you have it installed ? I bought it, absolute garbage -- it doesn't lock properly, and when the mechanism does catch it's EASY to bust open. Avoid it !! and go with Tuffy lock that does actually lock.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Drake hood latches and havent had a problem with them. Really hold the hood down at higher highway speeds. The little cable is slightly annoying to "position" but othe than that I like them.

If fire is a concern, thats what I have insurance for, it shouldnt be catching fire in the first place.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=westchester;4216003]Tuffy hood lock works, and can be left locked or unlocked

I agree! I use Tuffy Hood Lock myself..
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
If your concerned about locking the hood. BOLT makes a kit that uses your Jeep Key and its bolt on... no pun intended.

http://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7026128-J...T+hood+lock+JK

I do want some hood latches though. Its not on my immediate to do list.. no problems with hood flutter yet.

these are the ones I want

http://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Road...ood+latches+JK

I have the BOLT hood lock and I like it alot. Especially since it only opens with your Jeep key
Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015JKUSteph
I got the Drake hood latches and havent had a problem with them. Really hold the hood down at higher highway speeds. The little cable is slightly annoying to "position" but othe than that I like them.

If fire is a concern, thats what I have insurance for, it shouldnt be catching fire in the first place.
I like them because they remind me of something as an airframer we would put on Helicopter panels to hold them down. I just can't get over the freaking price. I mean dam for a couple pieces of metal thats expensive!!! Good to hear they are holding up. Maybe I'll ask santa if he can put some in my stocking for christmas
Old 05-24-2016, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have Rampage hood latches and believe them to be the best on the market.
You can run them unlocked or if your leaving the Jeep somewhere a little less than prefect you can lock them.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hood lock

I have a MOPAR hood lock. Works well, but it canceled the ability to put an "angry bird" grill on. Otherwise it's out of sight and basically invisible.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

The Jeep I bought used has one and I think it is a nuisance and I laugh a little every time I have to get the key out of the ignition to unlock an engine bay with a 3.8L minivan motor. lol
Old 06-15-2016, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mtnxr
The Jeep I bought used has one and I think it is a nuisance and I laugh a little every time I have to get the key out of the ignition to unlock an engine bay with a 3.8L minivan motor. lol
Until someone takes your red top battery, grille, LED headlights, or just ruins your day. Sometimes people are just evil. I'll spend the 2 seconds to take the key.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Toxic Tiki
Until someone takes your red top battery, grille, LED headlights, or just ruins your day. Sometimes people are just evil. I'll spend the 2 seconds to take the key.
Get the Rampage locking ones. Expensive but worth it. Leave them unlocked if you have a fire concern.

Rampage Page 29

Quick Reply: Locking Hood Latches