Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Locking Hood Latches

Old 06-16-2016, 12:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToplessGirl
Hi!! What is the thought on locking hood latches? I've heard it's a great idea but then I also hear that they are a pain. Any thoughts on putting them on and if so what brand should I purchase? Thanks!!
I use these. Problem i had most was strong head wind or over tall bridges the wind would push so hard the good woyld raise and lift all the way to the secondary hood latch. So i killed 2 birds with one stone. Its a locking hood latch and as solid as they get. We love ours.
I believe they were made by Drake.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160616_043140.png
Views:	168
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	649844  

Last edited by ToledoDave; 06-17-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toxic Tiki
I have a MOPAR hood lock. Works well, but it canceled the ability to put an "angry bird" grill on.
Mopar did you a favor.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ToledoDave

I use these. Problem i had most was strong head wind or over tall bridges the wind would push so hard the good woyld raise and lift all the way to the secondary hood latch. So i killed 2 birds with one stone. Its a locking hood latch and as solid as they get. We love ours.
I believe they were made by Drake.
My pic didnt show up. Trying again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160618_110326.png
Views:	171
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	650022
Old 06-21-2016, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep some drakes are on my Amazon wish list. I really can't see a downside to them they are fully tension adjustable.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Yep some drakes are on my Amazon wish list. I really can't see a downside to them they are fully tension adjustable.
Yes they are which i love more then the fact they lock. Expressway speeds into the wind i have watch my primary latches stretch out to the secondary hood latch as the hood floats and scares the spit out of me. New drake latches dont let that happen and locking them is a bonus!!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Locks keep honest people honest. The reality is, I'm less concerned with someone wanting something from under the hood than trying to snag my 2 way radio, my head unit, my CO2 tank, my fire extinguishers, tow straps, lights, or beer out of my fridge in back than I am with someone doing the extra work it would take to try and liberate something under the hood, starting with my compressor, which is probably the most valuable thing there, especially with the 3.8 that's currently the driving force. The hood has a switch that will set off the anti-theft, no different than opening the door, so I'm not concerned.

I've put a few sets of the Drake latches on friends' JK's because the factory latches suck and had no issues. The adjustment factor is nice.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jordy
Locks keep honest people honest. The reality is, I'm less concerned with someone wanting something from under the hood than trying to snag my 2 way radio, my head unit, my CO2 tank, my fire extinguishers, tow straps, lights, or beer out of my fridge in back than I am with someone doing the extra work it would take to try and liberate something under the hood, starting with my compressor, which is probably the most valuable thing there, especially with the 3.8 that's currently the driving force. The hood has a switch that will set off the anti-theft, no different than opening the door, so I'm not concerned.

I've put a few sets of the Drake latches on friends' JK's because the factory latches suck and had no issues. The adjustment factor is nice.
Well...if they get your battery you cant drive to get more beer!! Lol
I was told by a very smart factory electrical mechanic that he can full a fuse in the tipm and jumper it somewhere else in the tipm and unlock the doors. I just remembered him telling me this. I am going to ask him tomorrow and make him prove to me. I really didnt want to share this but we are in a jeep page and maybe you all should know if thats the truth. Dont hold me to this yet untill i see him tomorrow and make him show me. I will post if he was right or wrong. So...in such case....im glad i lock my hood down. :/
Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ToledoDave
Well...if they get your battery you cant drive to get more beer!! Lol
I was told by a very smart factory electrical mechanic that he can full a fuse in the tipm and jumper it somewhere else in the tipm and unlock the doors. I just remembered him telling me this. I am going to ask him tomorrow and make him prove to me. I really didnt want to share this but we are in a jeep page and maybe you all should know if thats the truth. Dont hold me to this yet untill i see him tomorrow and make him show me. I will post if he was right or wrong. So...in such case....im glad i lock my hood down. :/
I have 2 batteries, and they would be a huge pain in the ass to get out.

Again, if your Jeep is locked, opening the hood will trigger the anti-theft system, lights, horn, etc. Breaking a window, cutting a soft top, all easier options if someone wanted to get into a vehicle. If they want to take it, a tow truck will make quick work as well, not to mention, how many people pay attention to an alarm on a vehicle being towed? Act like you know what you're doing and nobody will notice a thing.

Oh, and even if what you said is true in regards to pulling fuses, hitting power in other places, etc, that's an awful lot of work to go through to unlock the doors on my Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160618_115526.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	650511  
Old 06-23-2016, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jordy

I have 2 batteries, and they would be a huge pain in the ass to get out.

Again, if your Jeep is locked, opening the hood will trigger the anti-theft system, lights, horn, etc. Breaking a window, cutting a soft top, all easier options if someone wanted to get into a vehicle. If they want to take it, a tow truck will make quick work as well, not to mention, how many people pay attention to an alarm on a vehicle being towed? Act like you know what you're doing and nobody will notice a thing.

Oh, and even if what you said is true in regards to pulling fuses, hitting power in other places, etc, that's an awful lot of work to go through to unlock the doors on my Jeep.
I wont argue any of that for sure was just adding. I dont have the security options and with hardtops on it makes it challenging but only by a little lol you can easily take the 4 bolts out of the lift glass and get it that way too. But again i mostly wanted the Drakes to stop the hood lifts on strong headwinds on e-way. :/ like i said the lock part was just bonus for me.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lockable Drakes and they work well! They are strong and the hood doesn't flutter because they are fully adjustable, as well. I highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Locking Hood Latches