Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LoD JK Rear Bumper Tire Carrier - Finished & Installed Pics

Old 02-10-2007, 08:27 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just updated the original post to include a few pics of the trail rack and jerry can mounts installed. Click on the link below to see them...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...43&postcount=1

Old 02-10-2007, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That looks really good.

Now, that's basically the finished product, the final design?
Are those problems you ran into going to change the overall look of it?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forgive the newbness, but what exactly is the purpose of the bumper with tire carrier over the stock bumper/spare mount system?

edit:

also, how does this affect the prospect of adding a bicycle carrier? is opening the cargo area door affected?

Last edited by superboo; 02-10-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
Wow. That looks really good.

Now, that's basically the finished product, the final design?
Are those problems you ran into going to change the overall look of it?
Yes, this is the final design and no, the look won't be changed at all. The problems I encountered had to do with how the bumper mounted to the frame rails. There were 2 bolts that were just about impossible to tighten but this is being redesigned so that different holes are used instead and ones I think make more sense.

Originally Posted by superboo
forgive the newbness, but what exactly is the purpose of the bumper with tire carrier over the stock bumper/spare mount system?
When you start running a larger tire size like a 35"-37", the added weight will most likely be too much for the factory spare tire mount and/or the tail gate to handle without eventually causing a break. By using a bumper tire carrier, you are now transfering the weight of the large spare tire onto your frame which is much stronger.

also, how does this affect the prospect of adding a bicycle carrier? is opening the cargo area door affected?
Opening up the cargo area is not affected with the LoD rear bumper tire carrier and, as far as a bicycle carrier goes, it should be affected at all as the spare tire ultimately sits about the same distance from the tail gate as before and if anything, higher as well.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Do they plan on selling just the rear bumper without the holes for those of us not needing the tire carrier? I just ordered the front bumper about 2 days ago and would love to get the matching rear
Old 02-11-2007, 07:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Rubidon
Do they plan on selling just the rear bumper without the holes for those of us not needing the tire carrier? I just ordered the front bumper about 2 days ago and would love to get the matching rear
Honestly, I don't know. Ususally the question that has been asked in the past is, "can I upgrade in the future if I don't buy the trail rack and jerry can mounts now?" I'll talk to LoD about it but if it were me, I'd keep the holes just in case and then for now, I would just buy some plastic 3/8" round plastic plugs, apply a bit of black RTV to them and pop them in the holes. You now have a water tight A-Frame and the option to upgrade in the future
Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Are there any mounts for a hi-lift, shovel, axe, and/or pick?

It certainly looks great, although I'm going to wait and see what Garvin comes up with. Their expedition roof rack will be a must for me...

js.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Honestly, I don't know. Ususally the question that has been asked in the past is, "can I upgrade in the future if I don't buy the trail rack and jerry can mounts now?" I'll talk to LoD about it but if it were me, I'd keep the holes just in case and then for now, I would just buy some plastic 3/8" round plastic plugs, apply a bit of black RTV to them and pop them in the holes. You now have a water tight A-Frame and the option to upgrade in the future
Fair enough, it be nice if it came with the plugs for this kind of money
Old 02-11-2007, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
When you start running a larger tire size like a 35"-37", the added weight will most likely be too much for the factory spare tire mount and/or the tail gate to handle without eventually causing a break. By using a bumper tire carrier, you are now transfering the weight of the large spare tire onto your frame which is much stronger.

Opening up the cargo area is not affected with the LoD rear bumper tire carrier and, as far as a bicycle carrier goes, it should be affected at all as the spare tire ultimately sits about the same distance from the tail gate as before and if anything, higher as well.
damnit, thanks for adding another $1000 onto my list of proposed jeep mods
Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love this Bumper, but I am holding out until they add a brush guard.

Any idea when that will be?

Quick Reply: LoD JK Rear Bumper Tire Carrier - Finished & Installed Pics