Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoD mid-width bumper install questions (install in progress)

Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoD mid-width bumper install questions (install in progress)

Didn't ship with instructions so I used this as a guide,

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Bumper-Install

It's on, but I have a few questions,

1. The install pics show the 8 bolts on the frame horns going through the back and toward the front. I could get that on the inner four, but had to reverse the direction on the outer four after struggling for 1/2 hour to try to get the nuts on (very small space to work in). Normal?

2. Can anyone elaborate on how the wiring for the factory fogs has to be done? Looks like I'm going to have to remove the plastic sheath on the wires to get the distance. Pics would help a lot.

3. The install pics show two bolts connecting the bottom of the bumper to the winch plate. These bolts were not included so I'll have to go to the hardware store. What size should I get?

4. Have to test fit the winch tomorrow before tightening everything up. I'm putting in an XRC 10 Comp. I think I've seen reports of that winch working fine with this bumper. Can anyone confirm?

Overall quality seems outstanding. Lack of installation instructions is frustrating (checked their web site and couldn't find anything there either).
Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are the installation instructions you had trouble finding. Hope they help.

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=9
Old 12-23-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is a small fit for a big hand to install the nuts inside the bumper, but it works finally. I taped the nut to the wrench to hold it in place.

Just lay the wiring out for the fog lamps. I just cut the drivers side wires and lengthened them to reach the light with the passenger side left alone. I bought some plastic covering like the stock and it worked out great.

The nuts are by far the hardest part. Love the bumper though

Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mwbmorley
Here are the installation instructions you had trouble finding. Hope they help.

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=9
I saw those, but they're for rear bumpers not the mid-width front bumper.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default LoD Mid Width

Originally Posted by cfr
Didn't ship with instructions so I used this as a guide,

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Bumper-Install

It's on, but I have a few questions,

1. The install pics show the 8 bolts on the frame horns going through the back and toward the front. I could get that on the inner four, but had to reverse the direction on the outer four after struggling for 1/2 hour to try to get the nuts on (very small space to work in). Normal?

2. Can anyone elaborate on how the wiring for the factory fogs has to be done? Looks like I'm going to have to remove the plastic sheath on the wires to get the distance. Pics would help a lot.

3. The install pics show two bolts connecting the bottom of the bumper to the winch plate. These bolts were not included so I'll have to go to the hardware store. What size should I get?

4. Have to test fit the winch tomorrow before tightening everything up. I'm putting in an XRC 10 Comp. I think I've seen reports of that winch working fine with this bumper. Can anyone confirm?

Overall quality seems outstanding. Lack of installation instructions is frustrating (checked their web site and couldn't find anything there either).
1) very tight fit. The tape on the wrench to help hold the nut is very good tip.
2) I also lenghthened both wires going to each side. I spoke to LoD when I was installing and the best thing is to splice in extra length. I also wrapped in black plastic "conduit" like the factory stuff to tidy things up.
3) Can't remember the size, but I bought the good grades to install skid plate..
4) Winch should fit. I have Warn M8000. It fits down in bumper really well if you like that look. It is well protected. My winch drum and fairlead didn't line up perfectly though. The only complaint I have.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 7.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	112339Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 6.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	112340

Quick Reply: LoD mid-width bumper install questions (install in progress)