Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long Arm

Old 03-23-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Arm

This may have been covered before, but as you can see by my post count, I am fairly new to the Jeep game. Would some one please explain how a long arm kit works, and who really needs them in what envirorment? Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bucksnortsam
This may have been covered before, but as you can see by my post count, I am fairly new to the Jeep game. Would some one please explain how a long arm kit works, and who really needs them in what envirorment? Thanks
unlike the old TJ which had really short control arms, the JK has arms that are considerably longer and really, work fine up to about 4" of lift. the reason why you'd want long arms is that at about 4" of lift or more, the geometry of your control arms will be off enough that among other things, your ride quality ON PAVEMENT will be effected negatively. in order to install long arms, you will need to cut off your factory control arm mounting brackets and have new ones installed to allow for the longer arms and, once you do this, your geometry will be restored closer to stock thus greatly improving your ride. again, you will notice this mostly ON PAVEMENT.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you raise a JK, the more the axle end of the control arms is pointing at the ground. The sharper the angle the more the ride quality suffers. With long arms the frame mounting points are moved inwards, which improves the riding quality and handling on/off road.

Quick Reply: Long Arm