Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long Arm- radius arm or 4 link

Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the r/e 4.5" kit not because of my extensive knowledge of suspensions. The main reason was because MOPAR did about 2 years of testing/research on it specifically for the JK before re-labeling it as a MOPAR product.

A common mistake (it was made on mine) when it is installed is to attach the drag-link to the bottom of the knuckle on the passenger side. This will cause constant ESP and bump steer. It needs to be installed on top of the knuckle (also requires a special part to "ream" it out).

The attached photo shows how NOT to attach it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	9491  
Old 05-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tambil68
This is quoted from another thread, post credit goes to Ctimrun. Hope it helps your thoughts.

And for the sake of opinion I went with Teraflex LA, but my local shop will ONLY recommend either Teraflex or RE as they are the lifts that have the least amount of negative feedback according to the shop owners. Jeepers Den in Orlando, FL

I am not sure I would call them dumb. Radius arms are designed to have anti-squat properties in the rear. While this is good for everyday street driven vehicles, it may not be so good on off road driven vehicles. Most of us probably would never notice the anti-squat off road, but others may, depends on the conditions of where the vehicle is used off road. The RE radius arms have what some believe as too much anti-squat, and in fact when accelerated can actually raise the back end of a vehicle and unload the rear tires.

The example that was given to me several times, by different people in the suspension industry is this.... Lets say you are climbing a steep hill with a slippery surface, whether it is hard granite rock (or similar), gravel, loose dirt, or even wet grass. You accelerate to climb whatever hill you are attempting, the back end of your vehicle raises slightly unloading the rear tires (which is a bad thing!) causing them to spin, and preventing the needed traction to climb the hill.

I was very interested in the RE long arm kit until I started talking to people who know what they are talking about. I am not talking about people who make other types of lifts. I have talked to actual users and people who have purchased radius arms kits. One person I talked to in length was David from Northridge 4X4, and he would have got the sale whether I bought the RE kit or otherwise, so he has no reason to steer me away other than just being honest.

Keep in mind that these people all said the radius arm kits are very nice kits and do have their place. If you are looking for the best possible street ride, then I don't think you can look anywhere but a radius arm kit. If you want the best off road kit, I don't think you can beat the flex of the 4 link (or 5 link, whatever we are calling them) long arm kits such as the Full Traction or Teraflex kits.

I think Rubicon Express and Teraflex have great customer service and will respond to customers very quickly with answers to problems. Full Traction not so much.

I hope all this helps....
Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Im bringing it back guys, I want more clarification...

Also, how much longer are the control arms on the long arm kits vs the stock arms?

I hear all of this debate about how the JK's dont really NEED a long arm kit, how much truth is there in that. I would imagine that with the appropriate shocks, the standard JK arm length would still let the axle fall extremely low before the geometry became an issue....

Thoughts?

Oh and radius vs 4 link still too... I have noticed how the FT long arm kit has very low mounted rear control arms. After hitting my stock mount control arm mounts, I am convinced that it would only be a matter of time before I destroyed the FT arm mounts. I guess RE has it beat in this respect. What do you guys think?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS
I went with the r/e 4.5" kit not because of my extensive knowledge of suspensions. The main reason was because MOPAR did about 2 years of testing/research on it specifically for the JK before re-labeling it as a MOPAR product.

A common mistake (it was made on mine) when it is installed is to attach the drag-link to the bottom of the knuckle on the passenger side. This will cause constant ESP and bump steer. It needs to be installed on top of the knuckle (also requires a special part to "ream" it out).

The attached photo shows how NOT to attach it.
I went RE 4,5" LA, also of the same reason. Guess Mopar wouldn't take it under their wings unless it's quite a catch. And also because of RE's reputation.

The reamer you mention, really bugs me though - why the h..l did't they supply this one in the kit. I ordered my kit from the states, and happily began assembly. Final touch, drag-link install "You need a special tool, which could be ordered separately" So, my only complaint is that they shouldn't say it's a complete kit, alternative they could mention this from the start.

Although I didn't do the same mistake you did, since it says clearly in the instructions to put in from top...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have the Teraflex 4" LA suspenison kit - it is just unbelievable. I did a TON of research on this before I went to Teraflex. The thing about FT's customer service, as posted above, is why I didn't go with them. I was put on hold and then disconnected. When I called back, the guy had let to go to a meeting. Unbelievable.

Since I installed the Teraflex, I took it from Florida to Maine and back. Combined with the 37"BFG KM2's, this the Teraflex is a flawless performer that rides unbelievable well, has great control in the corners, none of the twitchy feel associated with other lifts, and is completely quiet, unlike other kits. I like the zirk fittings that you can lube all of the fittings. And the arms are MAMOUTH in size!!! You will never bend of break these things - if you do, you will have destroyed your JK in the process.

Off road, the ride is just as impressive. It soaks up both high-speed bumps and low-speed boulders with equal perfection. I can't imagine a better kit for the money. I did a complete write up, however, I cant find it.

Quick Reply: Long Arm- radius arm or 4 link