Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Look out....FNG with kit questions...

Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look out....FNG with kit questions...

Hi all! I am new here and have been lurking a few days trying to educate myself. I have owned TJs and YJs in the past and now in a
"midlife-my-wife-said-I-can" moment, I picked up an '09 JKU that I am going to build into basically a mall crawler to joyride my daughters around in. Wheeling will be limited as here in the cornfields of Illinois, a serious grade is my driveway. It will see dirt, river bottoms and the woods and such, but nothing serious.

I had a RC 3.25 kit ordered but got buyers remorse after reading a million posts on quality and you get what you pay for lectures. I cancelled it. So here is where I am asking for help. My goals..

1.) 35" tires on stock 17" rims that are being powder coated (1.5" spacers for clearance)
2.) I would like the stock rake removed. I think the Jeep just looks meaner when it's level
3.) If it matters for weight, etc. it will be getting a rear bumper/tire carrier, but just a front stubby mod
4.) As stated above...DD with capability for woods and dirt driving
5.) Not sure how to put this....I want the jeep to look like it is not stuffed with tires...like a higher stance I guess with some room in the wheel wells.

I was thinking TF 2.5" maybe? Definitely open to ideas from all of you "been there, done that" folks.

Your budget is <$625....GO!

Thanks!
Dan
Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I would say the budget boost. I had it on my old jk, and was pretty happy with it. Debating doing that or waiting and holding out for a good 500$ used lift. 2.5" with 35s look good, and if no serious off-roading no problems. You could always get tube fenders of your choosing for extra clearance and maybe run no lift at all.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

So.....if I am going with just a spacer lift how about the RC 2.5"? Saves cash to put toward other goodies. I agree (I think) that maybe a lower end coil is not a good idea....but a spacer is a spacer, right?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by djcompton73
Hi all! I am new here and have been lurking a few days trying to educate myself. I have owned TJs and YJs in the past and now in a "midlife-my-wife-said-I-can" moment, I picked up an '09 JKU that I am going to build into basically a mall crawler to joyride my daughters around in. Wheeling will be limited as here in the cornfields of Illinois, a serious grade is my driveway. It will see dirt, river bottoms and the woods and such, but nothing serious. I had a RC 3.25 kit ordered but got buyers remorse after reading a million posts on quality and you get what you pay for lectures. I cancelled it. So here is where I am asking for help. My goals.. 1.) 35" tires on stock 17" rims that are being powder coated (1.5" spacers for clearance) 2.) I would like the stock rake removed. I think the Jeep just looks meaner when it's level 3.) If it matters for weight, etc. it will be getting a rear bumper/tire carrier, but just a front stubby mod 4.) As stated above...DD with capability for woods and dirt driving 5.) Not sure how to put this....I want the jeep to look like it is not stuffed with tires...like a higher stance I guess with some room in the wheel wells. I was thinking TF 2.5" maybe? Definitely open to ideas from all of you "been there, done that" folks. Your budget is <$625....GO! Thanks! Dan
that's the same idea with my jeep as well I just bought a 2009 JKU I saw a 2.5 lift on amazon for a little under 200.00$ I'll prolly throw 35" on as well. I'm going with the recovery bumper it has the winch plate on it so if I don't plan on buying a winch right away I can take the plate off and it not look funny.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So.....if I am going with just a spacer lift how about the RC 2.5"? Saves cash to put toward other goodies. I agree (I think) that maybe a lower end coil is not a good idea....but a spacer is a spacer, right?
Im not a budget boost fan myself your stock springs especially rear springs will sag due to the excess weight of the bumper/tire carrier and spare. Go with a quality 2.5 coil lift. I run the terafflex lift like you mentioned earlier and have no complaionts. Its a complete lift with the compemnents you need to do it right. You have an expensive vehicle so why slap some 2.5 inch pucks on top of your stock suspension just go for the extra money and get a descent set of coils
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

So does the 2.5" TF basic have everything I will need or will I end up needing extra parts to be happy?

Any experience or thoughts on the Zone 3"?

There are just sooooo many dang options and price points....how the heck do I pick one!

OR

If I just wanted a little more room but have the TF quality...could I run the TF 2.5" and then add like a .75 0r 1.0 spacer lift in addition?

Last edited by djcompton73; 03-25-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With my TF coil lift and shock extenders i got 3.5" front lift, 2.5" lift in rear on my 2009 JKUR. I just removed that kit a day ago to upgrade to TF 6" lift. The TF 2.5 lift was a good lift-lcog for 35" tires. Mine will be for sale soon. Good luck with ur choices, there are alot of good lifts out there.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

A bunch of older posts complain about sag in the TF springs. You ever have any issues? I am planning on throwing on a rear bumper/carrier with a full spare. I am thinking TF 2.5" coil kit and Daystar .75 spacers. Do I understand that the TF coil kit will remove the rake and level the jeep?

Will I have any geometry issues if I add the .75 spacers? My thought was they are only $39 and if it sucks, I can just pull the spacers back out.

Dan
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

So does the 2.5" TF basic have everything I will need or will I end up needing extra parts to be happy?

Any experience or thoughts on the Zone 3"?

There are just sooooo many dang options and price points....how the heck do I pick one!

OR

If I just wanted a little more room but have the TF quality...could I run the TF 2.5" and then add like a .75 0r 1.0 spacer lift in addition?
The kit comes pretty complete but I did add a few things such as a jks front adjustable trackbar, front lower control arms and reinforced my front axle with evo c gussets. You really dont need to add any height to that lift for just 35s. You start running into steering geometry and driveline issue with more lift than that
Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

A bunch of older posts complain about sag in the TF springs. You ever have any issues? I am planning on throwing on a rear bumper/carrier with a full spare. I am thinking TF 2.5" coil kit and Daystar .75 spacers. Do I understand that the TF coil kit will remove the rake and level the jeep?

Will I have any geometry issues if I add the .75 spacers? My thought was they are only $39 and if it sucks, I can just pull the spacers back out.

Dan
Ive been running this lift on two jeeps for 3 years both pretty heavy with a 35 and then a 37 spare, aftermarket bumpers and a hard top. the sagging is not as bad as poeple make it out to be. I have 3 inches up front and a little over 2 in the rear. plenty of room in your fenderwells for your use and if not cut the flares or replace them with aftermarkets.

Quick Reply: Look out....FNG with kit questions...