Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Advice - Blown Engine

Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by huygens
I have the 42RLE automatic transmission which apparently does not bolt to any other engine on the plannet except the 3.8
Not that it's any help, but prior to owning my JK I owned a 2003 Jeep Liberty which had a 3.7L V6 and ironically, also used the 42RLE trans. The liberty was much quicker than my JK, but it also weighed a lot less and I'm sure it was geared differently as well.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm staying tuned to see what you come up with. FWIW- don't open up the exhaust too much. Driving without a muffler will allow you to freely rev to redline but it lacks all torque to take off from a stop. The 3.8 was fun to drive that week but gutless at the line.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by huygens
TOTL, shop I took it to was quoting me a rebuilt engine, they would not do anything outside of a factory swapout. That option, of a $1200 used engine is becoming more and more appealing. With a set of headers while I am at it and possibly a couple of other simple mods, I might get close to what I want at the same time. Then I can take my time and plan my next move, either sell it or start buying parts slowly for the proper upgrade so it does not hurt all at once.

I would go that route myself.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have not updated this and quite frankly forgot about this post as time went by. Figured I would give a brief update. Engine was not blown, valve was not bent, nothing touched the top of the piston.

I pulled the head on the passenger side off and checked the top of the cylinder. Aside from some carbon whatever, everything was pristine. Valve was in fine shape too. Only problem was a broken valve spring which I could see with the valve cover removed.

Mechanic said they scoped the cylinder and saw where the valve contacted the piston, but apparently they didn't and fed me a line based on assumption or they really wanted to sell me an engine. In either case it was completely unacceptable behavior on the part of the shop.

New valve spring, head gasket, valve seals (might as well while it was apart), lap the valves, few other misc parts, and put a set of headers on it to solve a cracked drivers side exhaust manifold and the thing was running like a champ.

Still looking into another engine swap, but not in a rush, time is on my side atm and the vehicle is available for use.

Lesson here, question everything. I had a scope at the house and had I scoped the cylinder myself before I pulled the head I could have save myself a lot of trouble with a $6 valve spring and a compressor.

Quick Reply: Looking for Advice - Blown Engine