Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for bikini top advice

Old 09-22-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for bikini top advice

I'm wanting a bikini top that works with the soft top hardware, like the factory soft top that kind of "clips in" if you know what that means...I have a 2010 so probably an older style soft top.

Searched but can't find anything - is there anything besides the straps or super expensive NX tops?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkjk
I'm wanting a bikini top that works with the soft top hardware, like the factory soft top that kind of "clips in" if you know what that means...I have a 2010 so probably an older style soft top. Searched but can't find anything - is there anything besides the straps or super expensive NX tops?
Had a friend looking for the same after I bought a Bowles top.

He ended up getting an eBay deal with a smitty Bowless top and header for 400 I think.

Bikini tops will never really incorporate stock bow assemblies. Before I bought a new top I would use small turn buckle hold Down straps along the rear bow, roll the sail panels up on the rear roll bar and Velcro em in place, the straps can be tightened to the rear seat hold downs and creates a bikini style top for under 10 bucks. Did this for awhile.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Meaning most bikini tips require new header channels, the whole setup will cost 150 bucks usually give or take.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I have a softop from 2007-2009, the old school kind....basically for all of these bikinis, bestop, smitty etc., if you are getting the bikini the attachment is simply straps that go over the surrounds, like below?

http://www.smittybilt.com/docs/installation/94535.pdf
Old 09-23-2016, 01:22 AM
JK Junkie

That's correct.

My buddy bought the smitty complete top that straps to the rear bar and the speakers. The rear and sides zip or strap in but when removed it's a very formidable bikini top for the money. It has two bows that loop through the top and straddle the roll bar front and rear.

I was really surprised with the quality and ease of install all in for 400 bucks shipped.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 JKU, I bought the Mopar bikini top somewhere around 08 or 09. I run this top almost all summer now. I rarely use the soft-top anymore.

The Mopar top clips into all the default soft top rails, and i didn't need to purchase or assemble the header the Mopar top comes with it. Just make sure you order the right one. They make 2 bikini tops, 1 that attaches to the roll bars and 1 that attaches to the soft top channels.

Hope that helps. I love mine and I have had it for about 7-8 years.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bought Mopar top as well for my four door unlimited. its my only top now with the addition of the bestop 2-door enclosed windbreaker/duster combo and little ingenuity. Good luck
Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So you are looking to disassemble your factory top to use those parts in a new bikini-type top? Or you want to keep your complete soft top, and also have a bikini? That mopar may be a good choice. Or if you have the parts laying around:

Sprint Top, made by Pavement Ends

I think Bestop bought them a while back. That is a fastback top like the Trektop NX, but it is the material only, and uses the factory parts. Cheaper than the NX by a good bit, but if I read the specs right, it uses thinner material.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't want to have to remove my Bikini top every time I put the soft top up so I bought the Best Top Safari Sun Bikini. It comes in two versions, the targa which covers the front seats or the safari that covers front and back seats, doesn't require a header, comes in either mesh or solid fabric and stays in place all of the time. All I have to do is pop two snaps and one velcro tab long the inside of the windshield header and fold back the access flap that allows the soft top clamps to lock down. Overall I am happy with it and its inexpensive.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve_bk
I have an 07 JKU, I bought the Mopar bikini top somewhere around 08 or 09. I run this top almost all summer now. I rarely use the soft-top anymore.

The Mopar top clips into all the default soft top rails, and i didn't need to purchase or assemble the header the Mopar top comes with it. Just make sure you order the right one. They make 2 bikini tops, 1 that attaches to the roll bars and 1 that attaches to the soft top channels.

Hope that helps. I love mine and I have had it for about 7-8 years.
This seems like what I'm looking for. Basically I want to use the soft top surrounds and only a bikini, I'm hoping to get a DD soon and leave the jeep in the garage 99% of the time so I won't care about windows or anything. The trektop is nice but the way my co2 tank mounts and fire extinguisher it wouldn't work.

Quick Reply: Looking for bikini top advice