Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a few JK's, which 4" kit??

Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a few JK's, which 4" kit??

I'm shopping around to trade my '08 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 for a JK Unlimited "love the 4 doors"....When I pick one up I wanna slap a 4" or so lift under it. It's not gonna be a trail rig, honestly it'll be more of a mall crawler than anything and I'll drive it hunting some as well...But I don't imagine it'll ever see anything super rough. What kit "That doesn't break the bank" would you guys recommend??? Been looking at some of the Rough Country kits on eBay, price seems decent enough on them but not sure how the install is and if I'll end up having to shop around for other parts while the Jeep is tore apart...It'll be my daily driver so I can't have it tore down for a long time.
Also, what size tire can fit under one "stock fenders and all that" with a 4" and not rub or look to small on it???? Not sure what size wheel to run on it, won't be 20" I'm sure just to keep the cost down a little bit, maybe a 16"-17"-18" something in that range.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the Teraflex 4" kit with 37's on 17" wheels and stock flares. I think the teraflex springs are a bit firm, and I can feel everything in the road. I love the quality of the tera kit, just feel the springs are a bit rough for a DD. I've got Evo Coils sitting here waiting to go on to replace the Tera's. Hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default thanks

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out....I really don't know if I want to go all the way up to 37"s though because of fuel mileage, tire costs, and lack of power with those big things shoved under a Jeep..I still like to feel a little something when I push the stupid peddle down, lol.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

The great thing about the JK is you can put a budget 2.5" and run 35's ad it looks like a 4". Also once you go over 3.5" you really start to effect the geometry and then lower control arms and other stuff s needed. I put a 4" procomp on my first jk that only had springs and shocks but was "cheap". I ended up spending more fixing that than a long arm kit would've cost me. I'd look at the tera flex budget boost and go with some 305/75R17. Will get the desired look and not brake if you accidentally run into some rough conditions. Once you get your jeep you'll seek out those rough roads. Just my .02
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your concerned about gas mileage and power or lack of, you picked the wrong vehicle. You should try to stick under 3" of lift especially if your on a budget. Jeep suspensions and drivetrain starts getting expensive really fast after that number of lift height.

Stick to a 17" wheel. 15" wheels, the price if rubber is 20% cheaper and it looks like more tire. 18" wheel rubber is more expensive due to strange and uncommon size of a wheel
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

this is the 4in x-series lift from rough country with 4 door springs and 35s. there will be more to it than just that though, if you get a 2012 you'll] need exhaust spacers you will need drive shafts eventually and drag link flip kit i went ahead and got a jks rear track bar instead of the bracket that comes with the lift. I also used fox 2.0 shocks instead of the ones that come with the lift you can special order it from rough country like that for less$$$ [ATTACH]419514[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	798217_552460194779218_2126405341_o.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	419514  
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two good YouTube videos by Teraflex, a vendor sponsor. One deals with selecting a tire size. The other with lift kits. The vids will answer some of your questions. If you really want to keep a reasonable budget on your build, keep it under 3" of lift. You can fit 33s easy and 35s with minor correctable rub on flares. Just remember that once the first mod starts, something is effected, and it's usually mpg & pocket change.

Quick Reply: Looking at a few JK's, which 4" kit??