JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Looking for snorkel thoughts and opinions! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/looking-snorkel-thoughts-opinions-243964/)

JKRubi10 08-13-2012 11:12 AM

Looking for snorkel thoughts and opinions!

Been looking at the RR snorkel! Sweet setup and tough look! Think it would make a nice addition to my '10 2 dr Rubi. I have been in some mud and crossed water, but nothing that would have made the snorkel mandatory. Still don't anticipate being in water over my hood...
Questions?
1) other than the obvious deep water crossing, what other benefits to running a snorkel?
2) how many of you have a snorkel but don't use it necessarily for the above obvious reason?
3) Any performance enhancements or degredations you have noticed after install?
4) Thoughts on the Rugged Ridge snorkel for those who have opted for that model?

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions!

JKRubi10 08-13-2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JKRubi10 (Post 3160511)
Been looking at the RR snorkel! Sweet setup and tough look! Think it would make a nice addition to my '10 2 dr Rubi. I have been in some mud and crossed water, but nothing that would have made the snorkel mandatory. Still don't anticipate being in water over my hood...
Questions?
1) other than the obvious deep water crossing, what other benefits to running a snorkel?
2) how many of you have a snorkel but don't use it necessarily for the above obvious reason?
3) Any performance enhancements or degredations you have noticed after install?
4) Thoughts on the Rugged Ridge snorkel for those who have opted for that model?

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions!

Bump for thoughts...nearly 50 views and no thoughts :dontknow2: Maybe all the views are looking for the same answer? :rotflmao2:

Karnage541 08-13-2012 04:10 PM

I'm one of those looking for the same answer lol

westchester 08-13-2012 04:26 PM

I went with AEV's snorkel because it works with dual batteries (River Raider doesn't) and windshield lights (Rugged Ridge doesn't). The snorkel made no noticeable performance changes.

The reason for having a snorkel wasn't to ford through 4ft deep raging rivers - I have it to avoid hydrolocking the engine when get carried away with a heavy foot throttling through pools of standing water on backwoods trails. The stock intake is so low that I see a snorkel as cheap insurance (relative to many other JK upgrades) to get me home under own power.

Moraespedro 08-13-2012 05:11 PM

I have the cheap chinese copy from ebay... One year, with some water crossing...
No performance change... But my air filter holds longer...
Like already said, cheap insurance... You never know the real deep from a mud pot until you are there...

crazymike 08-13-2012 05:35 PM

I have the aev. No performance changes.

I got a good deal, but I wouldn't be afraid of the Chinese copy. Most likely your jeep airbox is made in china lol

It's just insurance. You never know when a puddle is deeper than anticipated. Right after mounting mine, I sank mine up to te door handles unplanned. Backed right out. No worries or issues.

Without a snorkel I'd have had to shutdown and winch out or get a tug.

Plus it looks badass ;)

JKRubi10 08-13-2012 05:43 PM

Thoughts...

Originally Posted by crazymike (Post 3161105)
I have the aev. No performance changes.

I got a good deal, but I wouldn't be afraid of the Chinese copy. Most likely your jeep airbox is made in china lol

It's just insurance. You never know when a puddle is deeper than anticipated. Right after mounting mine, I sank mine up to te door handles unplanned. Backed right out. No worries or issues.

Without a snorkel I'd have had to shutdown and winch out or get a tug.

Plus it looks badass ;)

Yes it does look awesome! :rock:

I have dropped in a mud puddle and it come over the hood unexpectedly as well... I just love the way they look. I have heard that they are good to get cooler air to intake and better on dusty trails when you are not leading the pack.... those were some of the other issues I was looking at too. :beer:

More thoughts on the RR model and snorkels in general are welcomed and wanted... i am torn because of the lack of ability to run windshield mounted lights with the RR :sigh:....I sure like the fact that there is no cutting and the RR model really looks great. Seen in person at Truck and JEEP Fest in Atlanta....Thanks again for thoughts and ideas!

crazymike 08-13-2012 05:47 PM

Honestly the aev install is child's play.

You get a hole saw bit for $20. Drill two holes in a template. Then you join the cuts with a cut off wheel. Total install time is maybe 2 hours maximum.

Granted you can't sell the jeep without the snorkel after unless you change hoods.

Vin 08-13-2012 07:10 PM

I have the Rugged Ridge Snorkel. I've wanted a snorkel because I did hydrolock my engine while playing in some mud holes. Water was no higher than the door openings, but because I took the water too fast sucked the water into the air box and ended up with a 3 month old clunker. 9 grand later and I was back in business, but very gunshy of water. Even large puddles on the highway send chills down my spine.

I also have a dual battery set up. I went with the cleaner look of the Rugged Ridge over the staple AEV snorkle. I imagine the cutting for theRugged Ridge snorkel is easier than the AEV, but you do need to remove the whole front fender. It seems daunting, but it really isn't that bad.

shoe1724 08-13-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vin
I have the Rugged Ridge Snorkel. I've wanted a snorkel because I did hydrolock my engine while playing in some mud holes. Water was no higher than the door openings, but because I took the water too fast sucked the water into the air box and ended up with a 3 month old clunker. 9 grand later and I was back in business, but very gunshy of water. Even large puddles on the highway send chills down my spine.

I also have a dual battery set up. I went with the cleaner look of the Rugged Ridge over the staple AEV snorkle. I imagine the cutting for theRugged Ridge snorkel is easier than the AEV, but you do need to remove the whole front fender. It seems daunting, but it really isn't that bad.

For the RR snorkel, would I have to remove the rubi rail to remove the front fender?