Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for snorkel thoughts and opinions!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for snorkel thoughts and opinions!

Been looking at the RR snorkel! Sweet setup and tough look! Think it would make a nice addition to my '10 2 dr Rubi. I have been in some mud and crossed water, but nothing that would have made the snorkel mandatory. Still don't anticipate being in water over my hood...
Questions?
1) other than the obvious deep water crossing, what other benefits to running a snorkel?
2) how many of you have a snorkel but don't use it necessarily for the above obvious reason?
3) Any performance enhancements or degredations you have noticed after install?
4) Thoughts on the Rugged Ridge snorkel for those who have opted for that model?

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRubi10
Been looking at the RR snorkel! Sweet setup and tough look! Think it would make a nice addition to my '10 2 dr Rubi. I have been in some mud and crossed water, but nothing that would have made the snorkel mandatory. Still don't anticipate being in water over my hood...
Questions?
1) other than the obvious deep water crossing, what other benefits to running a snorkel?
2) how many of you have a snorkel but don't use it necessarily for the above obvious reason?
3) Any performance enhancements or degredations you have noticed after install?
4) Thoughts on the Rugged Ridge snorkel for those who have opted for that model?

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions!
Bump for thoughts...nearly 50 views and no thoughts Maybe all the views are looking for the same answer?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

I'm one of those looking for the same answer lol
Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with AEV's snorkel because it works with dual batteries (River Raider doesn't) and windshield lights (Rugged Ridge doesn't). The snorkel made no noticeable performance changes.

The reason for having a snorkel wasn't to ford through 4ft deep raging rivers - I have it to avoid hydrolocking the engine when get carried away with a heavy foot throttling through pools of standing water on backwoods trails. The stock intake is so low that I see a snorkel as cheap insurance (relative to many other JK upgrades) to get me home under own power.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the cheap chinese copy from ebay... One year, with some water crossing...
No performance change... But my air filter holds longer...
Like already said, cheap insurance... You never know the real deep from a mud pot until you are there...
Old 08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the aev. No performance changes.

I got a good deal, but I wouldn't be afraid of the Chinese copy. Most likely your jeep airbox is made in china lol

It's just insurance. You never know when a puddle is deeper than anticipated. Right after mounting mine, I sank mine up to te door handles unplanned. Backed right out. No worries or issues.

Without a snorkel I'd have had to shutdown and winch out or get a tug.

Plus it looks badass
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thoughts...

Originally Posted by crazymike
I have the aev. No performance changes.

I got a good deal, but I wouldn't be afraid of the Chinese copy. Most likely your jeep airbox is made in china lol

It's just insurance. You never know when a puddle is deeper than anticipated. Right after mounting mine, I sank mine up to te door handles unplanned. Backed right out. No worries or issues.

Without a snorkel I'd have had to shutdown and winch out or get a tug.

Plus it looks badass
Yes it does look awesome!

I have dropped in a mud puddle and it come over the hood unexpectedly as well... I just love the way they look. I have heard that they are good to get cooler air to intake and better on dusty trails when you are not leading the pack.... those were some of the other issues I was looking at too.

More thoughts on the RR model and snorkels in general are welcomed and wanted... i am torn because of the lack of ability to run windshield mounted lights with the RR ....I sure like the fact that there is no cutting and the RR model really looks great. Seen in person at Truck and JEEP Fest in Atlanta....Thanks again for thoughts and ideas!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly the aev install is child's play.

You get a hole saw bit for $20. Drill two holes in a template. Then you join the cuts with a cut off wheel. Total install time is maybe 2 hours maximum.

Granted you can't sell the jeep without the snorkel after unless you change hoods.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Rugged Ridge Snorkel. I've wanted a snorkel because I did hydrolock my engine while playing in some mud holes. Water was no higher than the door openings, but because I took the water too fast sucked the water into the air box and ended up with a 3 month old clunker. 9 grand later and I was back in business, but very gunshy of water. Even large puddles on the highway send chills down my spine.

I also have a dual battery set up. I went with the cleaner look of the Rugged Ridge over the staple AEV snorkle. I imagine the cutting for theRugged Ridge snorkel is easier than the AEV, but you do need to remove the whole front fender. It seems daunting, but it really isn't that bad.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vin
I have the Rugged Ridge Snorkel. I've wanted a snorkel because I did hydrolock my engine while playing in some mud holes. Water was no higher than the door openings, but because I took the water too fast sucked the water into the air box and ended up with a 3 month old clunker. 9 grand later and I was back in business, but very gunshy of water. Even large puddles on the highway send chills down my spine.

I also have a dual battery set up. I went with the cleaner look of the Rugged Ridge over the staple AEV snorkle. I imagine the cutting for theRugged Ridge snorkel is easier than the AEV, but you do need to remove the whole front fender. It seems daunting, but it really isn't that bad.
For the RR snorkel, would I have to remove the rubi rail to remove the front fender?

Quick Reply: Looking for snorkel thoughts and opinions!