Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost lowend power

Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lost lowend power

This is in the wrong forum. I have a JK, I can't figure out how to delete it... sorry about that guys...

2018 Willys JKU auto

installed cold air intake and freeflow muffler... I feel gains in mid and high RPMs, but lost on the low end.... suggestions?

oh and would I benefit from a shift kit? I do drive a bit aggressively.

Last edited by Bruce L. Hall; 06-18-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You destroyed the back pressure which eliminated your low end. Free flow mufflers are good for HP (@5,250 rpm) but bad for torque.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually you changed the scavenging effect of your exhaust. Did you change the pipe diameter or just the muffler, I doubt you would see that drastic of a difference from just a muffler
Old 06-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

@akguy09- have you actually removed the muffler from your jeep? I speak from experience. Removing just the muffler killed the pressure and low end. Putting the muffler back in and the torque came back....at the expense of the hp (it no longer revs freely to red line).

Take off your muffler and see for yourself.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

its not really killing the back pressure, but I understand the premise behind exhaust function. I have removed mufflers and messed with exhaust systems on multiple jeeps and diesel trucks through the years.
I'm not trying to piss in anyone's wheaties but the back pressure myth died years ago, its more about pulse energy and scavenging effect of properly designed exhaust

Quick Reply: lost lowend power