Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lost power steering after body lift?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lost power steering after body lift?

So i put on a rough country 1.25 body lift yesterday and it went very well concidering i had to remove 36 bolts and put 36 bolts back on. I would HIGHLY suggest you use power tools where you can. I used a conpressor for about half.
Everything is back to gether, love the added lift.
BUT now my power steering is out? I check fluid and figured i pinched a line or pulled one off but everythings seems to be in order.
Does anyone have some suggestions of what might have happened as i cant seem to see what went wrong.

fyi the rough country lift is awesome! what singles it out is the bumber relocation bracket. havent got to that yet though....

thank you for any input, ppl on here are rad so first place i thought to go.
Mad P
Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked over everything again and cant still cant seem to see the issue except......
Below picture show steering shaft and it looks like it may have been pulled out to far and is either stuck or f%&@#. Does this look right?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

See the oiled up part? well that looks new compared to rest.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say you lost power steering, but you still have steering right?
If so I'd lok for a kinked hose, if not you may have disengaged the splines completely.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd look for a kinked hose or hardline. If you disengaged the splines completely you wouldn't have any steering.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wandell
I'd look for a kinked hose or hardline. If you disengaged the splines completely you wouldn't have any steering.
x2 They splines may be not completely together and are still touching giving you the sense that you have steering but only when you force the wheel. Have someone turn the wheel and have a look at it and see if its smooth or not. Has to be a line from the power steering side, you'll want to have a real good look as to not burn out your PS system.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

So what did you find?

Quick Reply: lost power steering after body lift?