Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Bunyon
i really want to do something like this I'm only concerned because in my state it is illegal to modify the vehicle structure to add or expand a compartment.
I would imagine the law has a specifier as to intent (such as illegal drugs or weapons). For example, in Ohio, the law prohibits “designing, building, constructing, fabricating, modifying, or altering a vehicle to create or add a hidden compartment with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance, prohibit operating, possessing, or using a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.”

I would question if this would even constitute a hidden compartment since it's an existing compartment that you are making bigger.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not familiar with your state laws but yes, there should be some other verbiage there about the intent. This would be similar to paraphernalia laws. Example being... a bottle by itself is not unlawful, but a bottle containing contraband or the residue of contraband is unlawful. Installing a tool box to carry trail items, tools, etc, would not fit this definition.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Not condoning breaking the law, here, but whose gonna see that?
True. I'm nervous about risking something like that with being concealed carry and regularly having firearms in my jeep. it doesn't help that I'm an auxiliary police officer and am obligated by my department to comply with all other officers. I can imagine getting pulled over by some other agency and he wanting to search my vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck Bunyon
True. I'm nervous about risking something like that with being concealed carry and regularly having firearms in my jeep. it doesn't help that I'm an auxiliary police officer and am obligated by my department to comply with all other officers. I can imagine getting pulled over by some other agency and he wanting to search my vehicle.

I know here in arkansas they can't search ur vehicle without a warrant or with ur permission. Second if ur not hiding any illegal u shouldn't have anything to worry about. To me what is difference in putting a lockable lid over the whole cargo area and enlarging the cargo area u already have.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd be curious to know how deep that tool box is now. Ditching the muffler gives you more departure in the rear, did you sacrifice any of that?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rbzak
I know here in arkansas they can't search ur vehicle without a warrant or with ur permission. Second if ur not hiding any illegal u shouldn't have anything to worry about. To me what is difference in putting a lockable lid over the whole cargo area and enlarging the cargo area u already have.
It's because you are modifying the structure to add/change a compartment. one of those great vehicle codes that came out of the drug wars. you also don't have to have a warrant to search a car. only probable cause because vehicles are mobile and warrants can take hours.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Cali they dont need a warrant either. Just probable cause.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
In Cali they dont need a warrant either. Just probable cause.
That's sux. They can search without a warrant here on probable cause but it has to be a good reason. Not just Bc they fill like it.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here in Texas your vehicle is an extenssion of your home and they require a warrent or your permission to search your vehicle
Old 06-19-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In Ohio, they can "frisk" the passenger compartment for weapons with probable cause, but cannot search without a warrant. A minor distinction, but a difference nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?