Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default looks good but

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Just finished up my "Jeep Deck" to cover the cargo area of my JKU. I used particle board that I stole from my dad ($0), some Rustoleum bed liner ($22), angle iron from Lowe's ($20), and some bolts laying around the shop ($0). It works great for storing lighter weight gear but I also built an I beam brace underneath to support the center. Attachment 608273 Attachment 608274

Particle board will not keep its integrity long it swells warps and so on . Im not sure if bedliner prevents the moisture absortion ? what will prevent water and dirt from entering around pillars?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good tho. I wish I cud even attempt that
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Punkyn13
Here is the one I built for my wifes 2013 JKUR. I did put in an upright piece behind the seats that is connected to the flat deck with L- brackets. With the doors off it can basically only be accessed with the key remote since the door lock switchs are on the doors. Plus it sits between some floor bolts for the seats and a small lip so it would be near impossible to pry out from underneath. It is 4 pieces cut from a single sheet of 3/4" plywood and covered in automotive carpeting that I wrapped and stapled neatly underneath. It keeps our sub steup and cargo pretty secure. We run a bestop sailcloth soft top so it works perect top on or off. Total I think I dropped about $80 on wood, carpet, and hardware, and 2-3 hours work including making a cardboard pattern. The trickiest part was the radius on the piece that seals up to the tailgate. I plan to make a steel brace using 1/4" plate and some uprights to support the center from underneath, and eventually wire in a light that will activate with door opening. Right now it just has a battery powered LED bar on velcro. I will also prob mount a small metal cargo basket and our Hi Lift on it when I get it supported from underneath. Makes the Bass sound pretty good as an added bonus!
Awesome job! You've definitely inspired me to make some additions!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Particle board will not keep its integrity long it swells warps and so on . Im not sure if bedliner prevents the moisture absortion ? what will prevent water and dirt from entering around pillars?
Yes, I did consider it not lasting years but we'll see how this one fares. Nothing prevents water from entering through the gap between the deck and the roll bars (I don't see why that would matter anyways) but this deck will only see moisture if I get caught in a freak storm since the jeep sits in a barn while I'm not driving it on nice days. Im fairly confident in the bed liner acting as a weather barrier, but you may be right! I'm thinking about shaving the edges so the deck will fit inside of my hardtop and then it'll really be protected.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hellphenix
Looks good tho. I wish I cud even attempt that
If you're referring to my attempt at a deck, it's much easier than you might imagine!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:50 AM
JK Newbie

Maybe to a man as your caliber. Me....=mess
Old 04-30-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is the most depressing comment..if you can't do it check out Jeep droptopz on fb. I just picked up mine from them. It would not have been that hard to do but the price wasn't too much higher than potential materials. If you want to attempt it make a cardboard template and buy a cheap jigsaw from sears or harbor freight for ~$20-30 and go to town
Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Just like MD Roots said ^ get some cardboard and some scissors or a knife, make a template, then get some wood at Lowes! I used a jig and skill saw but you could do it all with a cheap jig. If you don't like it then start over or buy one that's pre-made. It just takes patience and a lot of sand paper!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nachonator
how about smoked tail lights? that was the first mod I did and turned out to be cheap and pretty neat!

I also did the grill mod, with gutter guard mesh wire and black paint...
What did you use to smoke tail lights??
Old 05-01-2015, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreyJK

Yes, I did consider it not lasting years but we'll see how this one fares. Nothing prevents water from entering through the gap between the deck and the roll bars (I don't see why that would matter anyways) but this deck will only see moisture if I get caught in a freak storm since the jeep sits in a barn while I'm not driving it on nice days. Im fairly confident in the bed liner acting as a weather barrier, but you may be right! I'm thinking about shaving the edges so the deck will fit inside of my hardtop and then it'll really be protected.
How did you trace out the board and such. I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar but down on the inside. Kind of like the ORV deck.

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?