Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lowdown on LoD bumpers?

Old 05-28-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowdown on LoD bumpers?

Hey all,

After a few (okay, several) hours clowning around with my factory bumper and attempting to install the factory tow hooks, I concluded it was a waste of time... Nearly $70 and too much hacking at the plastic! I was quite stunned (shouldn't be, after my fuel door install) that the destructions had a big, fat, glaring omission: you have to cut a huge chunk out of the back part of the plastic fascia to insert the tow hook. Fortunately, I had this forum to consult for better info and this was noted in other's posts. I could have finished the job, but...

Anyway, I digress... I've decided that it'd be better to just pony up and purchase a new bumper with the d-ring mounts I really want. There are several that I like, but LoD's looks good to me right now... Price, design, function, etc... The only thing holding me back is the apparent lack of a winch hoop. I see they have a hoop for the TJ version that extends upward to protect the grille, but I'm looking for something a little more low-profile.

So here are my questions:
  1. Anyone know if they plan on offering a winch hoop? If so, will it be a bolt-on or welded in place?
  2. Lead time is stated as 3-4 weeks. Is that true of all orders or just special/custom bumpers? I'd like the winch mount version w/ holes for foglights. I have a trip coming up on 6/22 and would like to have the bumper installed by then.
  3. Does it come with the fairlead/d-rings shown in the photos or is that an option? Yeah, I guess that's like asking if it also comes with the foglights and winch...
  4. If you have this bumper, how'd the install go? Looked for an install write-up on ProjectJK, but probably didn't search deep enough. Curious to know other's experiences though.
Sorry for the long post, but inquiring minds want to know! TIA!

Last edited by '07JK Fan; 05-28-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

1. The last time I emailed LoD they stated that they were working on some bumper/winch hoops, but I think that has been postponed until they catch up on their bumper orders.
2. Not sure of their lead time right now, but 4+ weeks is probably close.
3. It does not come with the fairlead or D rings, but it does have the D ring mounts welded on the front and rear bumper.
4. The install was not bad at all. Took me about 2 hrs. including the winch install.
Here is the write up: Lod write up.

Here is mine:
Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
1. The last time I emailed LoD they stated that they were working on some bumper/winch hoops, but I think that has been postponed until they catch up on their bumper orders.
2. Not sure of their lead time right now, but 4+ weeks is probably close.
3. It does not come with the fairlead or D rings, but it does have the D ring mounts welded on the front and rear bumper.
4. The install was not bad at all. Took me about 2 hrs. including the winch install.
Here is the write up: Lod write up.

Here is mine:
Thanks Robar for the post & link. I remember seeing your rig, which was a big reason I was looking at LoD. 4 weeks is worth the wait, but guess I won't have it installed before the trip.

If I recall... you had to add the mounts for the lights, no?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Yes. I created, for lack of a better term, a light mount that attaches to the fairlead.
If you contact Chris at LoD he can give you the estimated ship date.

Last edited by Robar; 05-28-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by '07JK Fan
So here are my questions:
  1. Anyone know if they plan on offering a winch hoop? If so, will it be a bolt-on or welded in place?
  2. Lead time is stated as 3-4 weeks. Is that true of all orders or just special/custom bumpers? I'd like the winch mount version w/ holes for foglights. I have a trip coming up on 6/22 and would like to have the bumper installed by then.
  3. Does it come with the fairlead/d-rings shown in the photos or is that an option? Yeah, I guess that's like asking if it also comes with the foglights and winch...
  4. If you have this bumper, how'd the install go? Looked for an install write-up on ProjectJK, but probably didn't search deep enough. Curious to know other's experiences though.
Sorry for the long post, but inquiring minds want to know! TIA!
1. Yes, one has already been developed and it will be offered as a bolt on. Should be out next month.
2. As of Friday, the lead time is down to about 2... maybe 3 weeks at the latest.
3. Sorry, the D-rings are shown as a display only.
4. The install is super easy and my write-up for it can be found here: LoD Front Bumper Write-Up

Click here to buy LoD Bumpers

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-29-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you both, Robar & Eddie! Looks like I need to order now to hopefully have it before the trip. Appreciate the link to the write-up too...
Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
1. Yes, one has already been developed and it will be offered as a bolt on. Should be out next month.
2. As of Friday, the lead time is down to about 2... maybe 3 weeks at the latest.
3. Sorry, the D-rings are shown as a display only.
4. The install is super easy and my write-up for it can be found here: LoD Front Bumper Write-Up

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Might sound dumb, but what type/guage wire are you supposed to use when extending the length of the factory fog light wiring?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Bighaeb
Might sound dumb, but what type/guage wire are you supposed to use when extending the length of the factory fog light wiring?
Not dumb at all. I don't know for sure but it's pretty thin.... maybe 12-14 guage?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Well, that's just fascinating considering that my emails are now ignored, and it's been almost SEVEN weeks since my order went in.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by SCF
Well, that's just fascinating considering that my emails are now ignored, and it's been almost SEVEN weeks since my order went in.
Who did you place your order with? LoD directly or through 4x4xplor.com? In any case, I have been told that all orders placed on or before May 16th was shipped out last Friday. Need I say, if you placed your order as far back as you say, it should be on the way now.

Quick Reply: Lowdown on LoD bumpers?