Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lower Control Arm Question

Old 11-04-2012, 02:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an alignment before you do anything and after you do any mods. Maybe find a place that will offer lifetime alignments. Reason I say this is you should know what your specs are before you add components to fix something. Make sure you are fixing the right thing.

Caster should be 4.2 to 4.5. No higher or you can introduce driveline issues which can result in exploding transfer cases. Even with caster set there you may still have a little flightiness but you need to accept it or potentially deal with bigger major issues later on like others that set theirs to 6-8 range.

As mentioned toe in around 1/8". Camber can't be adjusted without adjustable ball joints but getting a reading is helpful to know if you have any bent components like outer c's.

You can try and measure some stuff on your own but I've found getting an accurate caster reading with an angle finder to be near impossible. An alignment machine makes it so much easier.

If it is your caster, a set of front lower arms will help but after installing, bring it back to have caster checked. .
Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The AEV control arm brackets are worth checking into. They will correct your geometry and improve your ride. You are less likely to need an alignment as well. They do however, reduce your ground clearance.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEV kit worked for me castor is back in spec and steering is much better. I'm not a rock crawler so clearance is not much of an issue for me. I did have to vet an alignment after and lost steering center after install which made no sense to me but I bought the lifetime alignment at 3000 miles and figured I'll get my moneys worth. $100 and about 30 min was all it took to install the brackets, the difference is dramatic.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Question