Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lowering the crossmember??

Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the crossmember??

When I finally got my jeep back from the dealer, still not entirely fixed, I crawled underneath to look around.

I saw that they had bolted my front crossmember back on with longer bolts, using 1" thick nuts to lower the cross member and space it away from the frame.

Anyone know why they would do this?
If it was a good idea, is there a better way?
if it was a bad idea, should I put it back?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. They were trying to change your driveline angle. Were you experiencing vibration?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I haven't been following what work you were getting done, but was it for more driveshaft clearance? Scroll down to MKJeeps pics where he notched the skid and lowered the crossmember with washers.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/driveshaft-vs-skid-plate-102041/
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they put a new driveshaft on? If so, they probably did it to try to keep you from ripping the ds boot and or your ds hitting the skid. Thats the only reason I can think of. On TJ's you do this to lower the whole tf case /skid to change the driveline angle. Jk's are not set-up that way.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. That's what I figured.
They spent around 3 months trying to figure out what was making noise in 4wd. That must have been one of the things they tried that didn't work.
Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Lowering the crossmember??