Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug nut question

Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug nut question

I recently bought new AEV Salta wheels, and from the hundreds of times ive taken my wheels off my stock lugs have seen better days. I ordered a procomp black lug kit and im slightly concerned about the difference in size of the lugs. what do you guys think gtg or not? the slanted part that touches the wheel is a tiny bit smaller. The whole lug is smaller and lighter too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0118171450.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	664859
Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i personally would get the ones with the larger bulge seat. i tend to be super OCD about shit like this so its just me. I have seen other people run slightly smaller ones with no issues.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
i personally would get the ones with the larger bulge seat. i tend to be super OCD about shit like this so its just me. I have seen other people run slightly smaller ones with no issues.
Same feeling here. I have what you want on my Jeep, but can't remember the brand. Think I bought a couple spares and kept the package -- will look in the garage.

Amazon history found it for me:
https://www.amazon.com/McGard-64029-...s=McGard+64029

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-18-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

To funny... my replacement lug nuts just showed today for my AEV Pintler wheels!

A fellow Jeep enthusiast/mechanic pointed out to me the other day (when he was working on my spare tire mounted bike rack), he thought the black Gorilla Spline lug nuts I was using had to small a seat at the bottom for the AEV rim.

After close inspection, I have to agree with him. A few days ago, I ordered some black Rugged Ridge nuts from Quadratech and compared both side-by-side today... definitely a larger seat with the Rugged Ridge.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Same feeling here. I have what you want on my Jeep, but can't remember the brand. Think I bought a couple spares and kept the package -- will look in the garage.

Amazon history found it for me:
https://www.amazon.com/McGard-64029-...s=McGard+64029
lol i went with the exact same thing except the standard chrome ones : )
Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default More info...

From WheelProfessor.com » Blog Archive » TECH Stuff # 13 ? ET Lug Nuts. What are they, and why?

This is from a paragraph on the evolution of aluminum wheels and their fasteners...

It was then discovered that the use of a standard lug nut (Acorn Type) was causing problems with the seating area of the wheel. Steel inserts was a solution, but it was soon discovered that the OEM’s were using a Bulged Type lug nut which eliminated the problem with the seating area.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
JK Newbie

guess ill try the ruggedridge ones, the mcguards are $
Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hieneken49
guess ill try the ruggedridge ones, the mcguards are $
Installed the black Rugged Ridge version yesterday on my AEV's... they fit like OEM and look OK.

Last edited by RESQLAB; 01-20-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Lug nut question