Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lug Nuts Crossthreaded on Wheel Lugs?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lug Nuts Crossthreaded on Wheel Lugs?

I just tried to rotate my tires for the first time, they have about 8,000 miles on them (I know that this isn't often enough).

However, I couldn't remove the lug nuts from the wheel lugs on the two front wheels. It's like they're crossthreaded. The rear lug nuts simply unscrew smoothly, while the front ones feel like they get tighter when they are unscrewed. The last time I removed the tire was last summer, one year, and about 7,000 miles ago, to install my lift. I haven't touched the lug nuts since.

I have AEV 17" Pintlers with the stock lug nuts. I also did not use a torque wrench. Could I have over tightened them? Can lug nuts become crossthreaded? What is the best remedy to the situation?

Thanks in advance for any and all help or suggestions.

- Cyrus
Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Here's a picture. Sorry it's so big.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are cross threaded and won't unscrew the only thing to do is twist off the wheel lug bolts and replace them.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
If they are cross threaded and won't unscrew the only thing to do is twist off the wheel lug bolts and replace them.
So there's no way the actual wheel lugs are crossthreaded, right? The lug bolts are softer, I'd assume...
Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Yes, you could have over tightened them, in which case, the threads may be bad.
No, lug nuts don't "become" cross threaded. They would have to have been started and tightened cross threaded.
Corrosion may be the culprit. Use some penetrating oil on them, and turn them off as best you can. Be prepared to replace some of the studs and nuts.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Thanks, I'll shoot some wd-40 on there and try and get them off. If the studs are damaged, how does one remove them and replace them?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

You may also want to try PB Blaster as its a penetrating lube.

I had the same problem with my stock wheels/lugs last year.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would try some penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster. I think they would be better than WD.
Let it sit overnight and try taking them off with a breaker bar. I think you'll have better luck than an impact wrench. It'll be more work but you'll have a better feel and less chance of screwing up the flats on the nuts.
And the studs will break off easier with the breaker bar if they don't unscrew.
Then take off the brake caliper and rotor and knock the studs out with a hammer and pull new ones back in.
Good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bobzinger
You may also want to try PB Blaster as its a penetrating lube.

I had the same problem with my stock wheels/lugs last year.
X2 on the PB blaster, that is all that we use @ work, it sounds like there may be some oxidation going on between the wheels and lug nuts
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Okay, so I used WD-40 and a breaker bar to get the lug nuts off. They all seemed corroded and rusted onto the stud. While most of them should work fine once cleaned, one is completely fubar. It's like it got crossthreaded and overtorqued. I just took pictures, but my laptop's down, sorry.

So can anyone help me out with detailed directions on how to take off the caliber and rotor and replace the damaged stud? Anyone with an electronic service manual who wants to do some cutting and pasting?

Again, thanks for all the help and replies.

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts Crossthreaded on Wheel Lugs?