Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maaco to paint new hood?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maaco painted my hood and XRC armor in Anvil. They did awesome job.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I have a great local body shop repair guy. Local small business guy, been doing it for awhile. He does awesome work and is pretty reasonably priced. I was just there a couple weeks ago getting some work done for my son's car which needed a rear quarter panel to be repaired and repainted. It turned out awesome, where everything blends and it basically looks like new. Going to follow that up having him repair some bumps and bruises on my JKU.

http://keenas.com/

I was just considering doing my fender flares at Maaco since it's typically cheaper where the fender flares are something that are easy to get scratched and banged up again and it's not like I have to worry about rust. So it may not make sense to pay my guy what he's worth, if I turn around scratch them again afterwards.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used Maaco before for a work truck. They did a great job. They explained to me that they do cheap paint jobs, but they also do good paint jobs. You get what you pay for. The one I used had three different levels of work. The cheapest was prep and one coat of color. The highest something like prep, primer, two coats color, and clear.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
I've used Maaco before for a work truck. They did a great job. They explained to me that they do cheap paint jobs, but they also do good paint jobs. You get what you pay for. The one I used had three different levels of work. The cheapest was prep and one coat of color. The highest something like prep, primer, two coats color, and clear.
I did not know that. Thanks for letting us know!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Well I ended up getting the stingray hood from smittybilt. (Looks just like the 10th anniversary hood) for $495 plus $20 shipping and dropped it off at maaco today who charged me $280 to paint it that includes under the hood. They said it should be done tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how it turns out!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Curious to hear how good of a job they do. I'd love a vented hood for both looks and function, but when it comes down to cost it always looks like I'll be doing the PSC cheese grater instead.

Comment above about the different levels of paint jobs they offer was interesting as I had no idea Maaco offered levels. When you dropped it off did they discuss various options with you? If so, was $280 for a higher quality job?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

They never discussed different paint job levels with me. I'm assuming they just knew I'd want the higher level job because of how I was telling them I want it to look/match the rest of the jeep paint. They did however have a chart in there where it had like different types of paint jobs and the cost of each one going from low to high.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
They never discussed different paint job levels with me. I'm assuming they just knew I'd want the higher level job because of how I was telling them I want it to look/match the rest of the jeep paint. They did however have a chart in there where it had like different types of paint jobs and the cost of each one going from low to high.
I had a black painted Chrysler product that had the failing clear coat, so I had Macco do the entire repaint including prep. $1,500. I only wanted the car to look good for a few more years. They offered to put a heavy clear coat on it so I could take it to someone to wet sand and polish afterwards. The thing had a showroom look to it when done and ten years later, still looks great! aside from my swirls and such from waxing it through the years.
The sand and polish will help with any orange peel, so would recommend you ask for an additional clear coat layer.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

I got my hood back paint looks great and matched great. And hood looks awesome, I'm in the middle of cutting up the hood louvers to make them actually able to vent the hot air out then I'll install and post a picture
Old 04-28-2017, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

here are some photos.

Quick Reply: Maaco to paint new hood?