Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maaco to paint new hood?

Old 04-23-2017, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maaco to paint new hood?

So I'm looking to buy a new vented hood for my 13 jku to help with engine temps and I am looking at either the 10th anniversary hood or aev hood. Both come primered black ready to be painted and was just curious if anyone has take a their hood to be painted by maaco. I've heard horror stories about their work but have also heard of you do your own prep work then it can turn out fine and since these hood are already ready for paint I figured that it would be fine but was going to hear from someone.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Plan on having someone wet sand and buff it after they are done.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Dang I was hoping that they would be able to do a good job if it was already prepped.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
Dang I was hoping that they would be able to do a good job if it was already prepped.
Ask to see their work and see how bad the orange peel is.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This brings back memories from my childhood. I haven't heard the "Better call Maaco" slogan in over 20 years. They used to have adds on tc when I lived near flint as a kid.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
This brings back memories from my childhood. I haven't heard the "Better call Maaco" slogan in over 20 years. They used to have adds on tc when I lived near flint as a kid.
You mean "uh oh!!!.....better call Maaco"

I was kind of hoping the OP would try it out and provide some feedback on how it turned out. I know they're cheap and my rear Sahara fender flares are pretty scratched up and was considering prepping those myself and bringing them in to Maaco for paint, if the hood turned out decent enough.

I don't know if I would risk it on a hood if the orange peel is as bad as mentioned.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-25-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
You mean "uh oh!!!.....better call Maaco"

I was kind of hoping the OP would try it out and provide some feedback on how it turned out. I know they're cheap and my rear Sahara fender flares are pretty scratched up and was considering prepping those myself and bringing them in to Maaco for paint, if the hood turned out decent enough.

I don't know if I would risk it on a hood if the orange peel is as bad as mentioned.

Body shops really don't want to paint things off the vehicle.. because then they can't blend the paint into the existing.

Also if you have any mica in your paint (sparkles vs a flat color) they need to try to match the direction.

A few years back I had a set of half doors painted, and I wasn't about to let them paint them on the vehicle. I brought in the jeep, the shop inspected the direction of paint did a couple of color tests and was able to basically match the factory paint without them being on the vehicle... but they did warn me they would not guaranty a color match unless it was on the vehicle when they painted them.

There are a ton of reputable paint and repair shops. Personally I've not had good experiences with Maaco, but each site is unique. Just look for collision places and you should be able to talk to the paint people and shop and find a good one with a reasonable price.... and if you don't want it blended find a shop willing to do that.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Maaco is terribad, find a local independent shop, you'll be much happeir in the end.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

So in order to get it blended do I need to remove my stock hood and put this new one on?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
So in order to get it blended do I need to remove my stock hood and put this new one on?
To do it the best way possible.. You should work with the shop.

But when I've done something similar, we primed/pre-painted the hood off the vehicle.. then installed the hinges, then did finish paint (including blending).

(Note, I'm not a paint guy.. I was helping a buddy do this.)

Quick Reply: Maaco to paint new hood?