Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Math: Axle shift per inch of lift

Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TacticalTankJKUR
Yes this drawing is better IMHO. I would change the red triangle to A', B', and C' (or change both triangles to A1 vs A2 and B1 vs B2, etc). If you change the red triangle to primes (A' for example), my forumula becomes:

A' = sq rt (B^2+A^2-(B+Delta B)^2)

and Delta A = A-A' which gives you the shift.

If you use A = 60", B = 10" and Delta B = 2", for a 60" axle 10" stock height and 2" lift for easy math, you get A' = 59.6" and Delta A = .4"
I like it! Nice math skills.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PT.png
Views:	223
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	652744  

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-21-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I like it! Nice math skills.
Thanks. 3 semesters of CalCLUless and 1 of Differential Equations will permanently embed some crazy stuff in your head. Now if I cood only speel.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks. 3 semesters of CalCLUless and 1 of Differential Equations will permanently embed some crazy stuff in your head. Now if I cood only speel.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Oh, you must be an ingenear as well?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Yes this drawing is better IMHO. I would change the red triangle to A', B', and C' (or change both triangles to A1 vs A2 and B1 vs B2, etc). If you change the red triangle to primes (A' for example), my forumula becomes:

A' = sq rt (B^2+A^2-(B+Delta B)^2)

and Delta A = A-A' which gives you the shift.

If you use A = 60", B = 10" and Delta B = 2", for a 60" axle 10" stock height and 2" lift for easy math, you get A' = 59.6" and Delta A = .4"
This is the reason I relabeled the lines and assigned them as separate variables in my equations and defined those variables. In 14Sports's updated diagram, it tends to cause confusion because the assumption could be made that A=A' and clearly the A in the top triangle is not equal to A' in the bottom triangle as 14Sport originally pointed out. However C=C' because the length of the track bar does not change and it is for that reason of C not changing and becoming a constant length variable that the axle shift occurs and since that value does not change, that is the reason we're actually able to solve this problem using Algebra variable substitution for the value of C into the bottom triangle's pythagorean theorem equation.

So the diagram needs to be updated so that the variable C in the bottom triangle is labeled as such and not C' if the preference is to use variable labels such as A' and delta A. At the end of the day, it's the same thing that I originally showed using the same equations I already defined.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-21-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
This is the reason I relabeled the lines and assigned them as separate variables in my equations. In this diagram, it tends to cause confusion because the assumption made be made that A=A" and clearly the A in the top triangle is not equal to A" in the bottom triangle.
Yes I followed your logic. I'm just partial to A and A' because as an Enginerd, I am partial to the way I do my math. Because they were both labeled A, instead of differentiating them with an A and an A', it made sense that you changed the variable names. In the long run, the variable names don't make or break the results of the equations so they all work. It's just a matter of which is more clear.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yes I followed your logic. I'm just partial to A and A' because as an Enginerd, I am partial to the way I do my math. Because they were both labeled A, instead of differentiating them with an A and an A', it made sense that you changed the variable names. In the long run, the variable names don't make or break the results of the equations so they all work. It's just a matter of which is more clear.
Yep I get it, but as I stated C' needs to be labeled back to C, to follow that same logic that you're partial to.

I tend to stay away from labeling variables with the prime accent and delta that you prefer, because you get in that habit and it will cause you much grief if you ever write any code in programming languages. Especially with those accent marks.

In code writing
F= (A-X) is a valid expression using valid variable labels.
A'=(A-Delta A) is not and you would never make it past the compile stage.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-21-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Yep I get it, but as I stated C' needs to be labeled back to C, to follow that same logic that you're partial to.
Yes, as the years go by, I have less attention to detail. I think they call it "aging"

I tend to stay away from labeling variables with the prime accent and delta that you prefer, because you get in that habit and it will cause you much grief if you ever write any code in programming languages. Especially with those accent marks.

In code writing
F= (A-X) is a valid expression using valid variable labels.
A'=(A-Delta A) is not and you would never make it past the compile stage.
I never had a problem keeping them segregated but the 5 languages I know are mostly obsolete.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

However C=C' because the length of the track bar does not change and it is for that reason of C not changing and becoming a constant length variable that the axle shift occurs and since that value does not change, that is the reason we're actually able to solve this problem using Algebra variable substitution for the value of C into the bottom triangle's pythagorean theorem equation.

So the diagram needs to be updated so that the variable C in the bottom triangle is labeled as such and not C' if the preference is to use variable labels such as A' and delta A. At the end of the day, it's the same thing that I originally showed using the same equations I already defined.
You guys are way beyond me.

Here you go, red. Trying to keep everyone happy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PT.png
Views:	248
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	652760  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, as the years go by, I have less attention to detail. I think they call it "aging"

I never had a problem keeping them segregated but the 5 languages I know are mostly obsolete.
Delta (the symbol), not the word would result as an invalid character in many programming languages and ' (single quote) always must have an additional closing ' , otherwise you would get a compile error indicating there is no closing of the single quotation operation. It's like have a single "(" opening bracket and not including the ")" closing bracket.

Since defining and using variables in all programming languages are essential, I've just learned to get away from how things are typically written in math books and establish habits that work both in math and programming since math and programming are directly related in most cases. It makes my brain hurt less.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-21-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Math: Axle shift per inch of lift