Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

max tire tread depth difference on same axle?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default max tire tread depth difference on same axle?

so i bought 4 used tires then decided i needed a spere so i bought a new matching spare.
i want to run the new tire now with 3 of the used ones to ware it down a bit and use the 4th used as a spare then start doing a 5 tire rotation.
my question is, there is there is a 1/4" difference in the depth of the tread from the new tire to the used, will it hurt anything to put the new and an old on the same axle? i am thinking of putting the new on the rear and leaving it there for a couple rotations to ware it down a bit. will this be ok?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you'll be fine with the size difference but, if you want to hurry things along, you might want to install it up front.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you'll be fine with the size difference but, if you want to hurry things along, you might want to install it up front.
wont it ware more on the rear drive axle? or pull to one side up front?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

I would start it in the right rear for a 5 tire rotation schedule. This will allow it to hit all four corners before it gets rotated back to the spare. It will also mean that the other three tires only receive 75% of the wear of the new tire. If it's still tall after 4 tire rotations skip rotating it to the spare location and likewise skip one tire location for the other four tires.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
I would start it in the right rear for a 5 tire rotation schedule. This will allow it to hit all four corners before it gets rotated back to the spare. It will also mean that the other three tires only receive 75% of the wear of the new tire. If it's still tall after 4 tire rotations skip rotating it to the spare location and likewise skip one tire location for the other four tires.

i was just trying to find that exact diagram and yes, this would be the way to go
Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i was just trying to find that exact diagram and yes, this would be the way to go
Marginal minds think alike.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

awsome thanks for the quick replys guys. off to install now

Quick Reply: max tire tread depth difference on same axle?