Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mbrp offroad exhaust, aluminized

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mbrp offroad exhaust, aluminized

Yes, another one. I just felt like I had to share my experience.

If you're on the fence on what to get, go with this one. I couldn't decide between this and the dynomax pre axle dump. Made some money off the football games so I decided on the mbrp. And I am extremely happy.

The install took about 2 hours cuz we couldn't get the muffler off. My advice is to stick with that. No matter what. You can get the exhaust off but it takes wiggling and jiggling. The other hard part was the damn passenger bracket. We ended up slicing thru the rubber with a box cutter, and just sliding it out. The factory muffler was rusted and took forever to take off the pipe. Eventually it came off after a helluva lot of jiggling. I started at the front, and moved towards the back. Even tho the instructions clearly tell you to do the muffler first. It will eventually come off. I would suggest greasing before you even start. WD-40 worked wonders.

The trick to get them off the hangers, is to first grease, then stick a flathead thru, and leverage the peg (we called it a nipple) thru the rubber. Its a little difficult, but once you find the right angle, And with enough force, it comes right out.

My only thing is that the pipe that connects the muffler to the stock piece doesn't fit perfect. It tends to rotate, but after tons of elbow grease, we got it to stick with very very limited rotation. Going to keep checking on it. If it rotates, then your entire system from there to the back will rotate, and the tip will turn sideways and all the piping will too. Looking like it can cause more problems. Another thing is that my rear brake lines are touching the pipe. I'm sure it can be adjusted after reading other posts, but for now I will keep checking on it.

Otherwise, it sounds amazing. Not loud at higher speeds at all, no drone, and it gurgles when you down shift. I love it. I was worried about ricey sounds, but none so far. It has a real deep aggressive tone, and I smile every time I hit a red light or stop sign. Just cuz I get to hear the takeoff. I feel like I'll be on the skinny pedal more for the sound, but I think once I get used to it, I'll lay off. And the gas tank will thank me.

I did notice a weird smell, but again, that is supposed to go away after the initial break in period. The new pipes have a sort of grease on them, so I'm assuming its just that stuff burning off.

Performance wise, its a boost. Definitely noticeable while driving. Nothing that will knock your socks off, but you can tell its there. Its a small amount of boost, after all, more air flow means better performance. After the Superbowl, if I win more cash, getting a tuner and a CAI if I can. Finally readjust my computer for the 35's I got 2 years ago....

I took a few videos and will upload them to my YouTube channel tomorrow while I'm at work. I also took them from my phone, but I will get my camera out and record a clip. Planning on doing some driving, and some outside "walk around ones too.

Overall, very very happy with my purchase. I will totally buy again. My first start up actually made me smile so damn big, my cheeks hurt. And after all that muscling thru, it was worth it to know you can do it yourself, at home, with a buddy or two. One of the best feelings if accomplishment...

Quick Reply: mbrp offroad exhaust, aluminized