Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metal Cloak or Rock Krawler

Old 10-03-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Cloak or Rock Krawler

I am planning a few changes on my '10 JKUR over the winter and looking for some real world feedback on the two sets of springs. I currently run the first gen RK x-factor 3.5" lift. After 45,000 miles of daily driving and moderate to hard wheeling the ride quality is getting poor with the old linear springs.

My plan is to run 3.5 progressive springs, either Metal Cloak or RK, and switch the rear to the RK three link setup. The new springs seem to have a lot more travel approx. 14" over my linears so I also want to run longer shocks and switch to the synergy raised rear mounts.

So If you run either sets of springs let me know how they ride, and more important how they perform in the rocks!

Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

I have the 2.5 X-Factor current gen (gen 3?) and it works great, but going slow is very rough in the rear end. Once you're up to speed then it runs great. Teraflex has a pretty in depth video about springs and there pros & cons. If i were you i would simply replace the joints in your RK system with the new Gen 3 joints (saves money!) and maybe order new spring to get the ones you want. RK is now using a triple rate spring all around.

HF GL.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for response l, guess I should clarify, I am keeping my current arms, have rebuilt a few ends , just upgrading springs, shocks, and switching to rear three link for a little extra flex.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pontiac31
I am planning a few changes on my '10 JKUR over the winter and looking for some real world feedback on the two sets of springs. I currently run the first gen RK x-factor 3.5" lift. After 45,000 miles of daily driving and moderate to hard wheeling the ride quality is getting poor with the old linear springs. My plan is to run 3.5 progressive springs, either Metal Cloak or RK, and switch the rear to the RK three link setup. The new springs seem to have a lot more travel approx. 14" over my linears so I also want to run longer shocks and switch to the synergy raised rear mounts. So If you run either sets of springs let me know how they ride, and more important how they perform in the rocks! Thanks
I have metalcloak, I've ridden in two jeeps with rock krawler triple rates. Honestly you're not going to notice the difference. My friends both run the RRD shocks and I run bilstien 5100's for now. I'd say their ride is a little softer, but would lean toward that being a product of the shocks.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't comment on RK, but I've used and abused the MC coils in the rocks and run 14" of travel front and 12" rear. The coils are awesome. Another Jeep I wheel with runs the MC coils and the OME shocks. Hands down the best riding jeep I've been in to date. I run the 6Paks, which I personally find to be stiff on a 2 door. There's been a lot of odd threads on the RK coils, which I'd pause on a little. Can't think of anyone who has complained about the MC coils. If you want travel, the MC have the most.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

I run the MetalCloak 3.5" game changer with the OME shocks. I hit the rocks as much as I can. Amazing ride on and off road. Hard to beat them. Can't say I've read a single negative post about them yet. Actually I know I haven't yet. I've not ridden on any of Rock Krawlers triple rate springs yet so can't speak about them.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the 3.5 MC coils for a minute. Probably softer than my 4" Evo plush rides I have now.

Only issue...if you run a very light Jeep like I do, they may clank in the front.
Mine would clank over bumps and I could reproduce by just tapping with my fist.
MC who has amazing customer service btw, swapped them out for me and second set did the same.
Working with MC, we determined it had to be the light Jeep causing it as they engineer their kits for loaded rigs.

Outstanding ride and company though...still have the MC dual rate in the back if my Jeep and EVO'S. Up front

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 10-04-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

Good to know, I run a schrockworks front bumper with xrc12 winch, I would say its relatively heavy, also have custom tool box in back so i wouldn't say my rig is light. Usually always hauling my wife and two sons around so its always loaded. Guess I am leaning towards MC springs. Now to narrow down shock options. Leaning towards rrd shocks or Rancho adjustable.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pontiac31
Good to know, I run a schrockworks front bumper with xrc12 winch, I would say its relatively heavy, also have custom tool box in back so i wouldn't say my rig is light. Usually always hauling my wife and two sons around so its always loaded. Guess I am leaning towards MC springs. Now to narrow down shock options. Leaning towards rrd shocks or Rancho adjustable.
I was looking at both of these shocks for a while and ended up staying with my bilsteins, and waiting on fox adjustables. The rancho adjustables only go up to a 10.5" travel before you have a 19" collapsed length. Same thing goes with the RRD's an 11" travel RRD has a listed collapsed length of 18" in the front. I couldn't fit these with the mounts I have right now. Something to think about, make sure you measure before you settle on which shocks to run.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
I was looking at both of these shocks for a while and ended up staying with my bilsteins, and waiting on fox adjustables. The rancho adjustables only go up to a 10.5" travel before you have a 19" collapsed length. Same thing goes with the RRD's an 11" travel RRD has a listed collapsed length of 18" in the front. I couldn't fit these with the mounts I have right now. Something to think about, make sure you measure before you settle on which shocks to run.
You got some good points.

I'm running Metalcloak 2.5 springs and Rancho 32xl shocks in the rear with the Metalcloak raised shock mounts for better clearance. It did require 2.25 bumpstops, synergy long travel upper shock mounts with sway bar relocation, 12" Teraflex sway bar links, and relocated exhaust. It works well but it did require planning to make everything work together.

I think a lot of times people don't consider all these details when they purchase shocks.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Metal Cloak or Rock Krawler