JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   MetalCloak, shocks? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/metalcloak-shocks-328411/)

Mike H. 11-26-2015 12:08 PM

MetalCloak, shocks?

Fox?
OME?
Rock Sport?
What's the deal?
3 choices, but what are the intended purposes for each and associated ride/performance characteristics for each?

Invest2m4 11-26-2015 12:28 PM

Rock sport is their brand and meant to be budget friendly. OME was all they offered at first. People didn't like the yellow and a lot of people like more choices, so they added Fox as well. OME will ride softer than Fox. You'd have to ask Metalcloak about the rock sport.

TxJeepers 11-26-2015 12:34 PM

I actually asked them about shocks and the answer I received was that they are all valved about the same so ride will be very close. They now do the OME in black. People didn't like the yellow. They have two house shocks, six pack which is the top of line. If you run flats and want the most wheel travel up/down these are the shocks for you. OME/FOX are the middle of the road shocks and are a matter of preference between the two with Fox costing a little more. Their other house brand RockSports are a lower cost option vs the other three. I like the OME myself. Have them on my current Jeep.

Matsonian 11-26-2015 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike H. (Post 4163563)
Fox?
OME?
Rock Sport?
What's the deal?
3 choices, but what are the intended purposes for each and associated ride/performance characteristics for each?

TxJeepers summarized it very well.

Ultimately, our first choice for a shock that provided the overall ride quality and performance of the 6Pak without the additional travel was the Old Man Emu. In our Stiff Coil/Soft Shock philosophy the OME was a perfect synergy with our coils. As some customers did not like the yellow shocks, we learned that the Fox BDS Edition has similar valving. Even though the travel is less by a couple inches, the ride quality is the same if you choose the Fox Edition.

RockSports are very similar to the OME in overall ride quality and travel, but are budget friendly as an entry level shock.

Hope that helps!

Mike H. 11-27-2015 03:24 AM

that does help, thanks.

chad s 11-30-2015 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mike H. (Post 4163718)
that does help, thanks.

do not get the rock sports. Horrible ride on road. Had bilstein before these and its night and day difference

Dlampe 11-30-2015 04:24 PM

I have the Fox BDS shocks with a 3 inch game changer and I completely satisfied. I drive it 50 miles a day to work on old 2 lane roads and I am very pleased with the ride. I had the remote adjustable Rancho 9000xl shocks on the previous rig and these are better than those on any setting. I don't have experience with the rest.

carlojp 11-30-2015 06:18 PM

You can't go wrong with OME and Fox. OME will provide a softer ride while FOX is firmer.

BigPrince 11-30-2015 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by carlojp (Post 4164762)
You can't go wrong with OME and Fox. OME will provide a softer ride while FOX is firmer.

I've run the 3.5 GC with OME shocks over the past year and find the OME to be too way too soft. They didn't offer the Fox shocks when I bought my kit or I'd be running those. If I wasn't completely changing lifts in a couple months I'd buy the fox to replace my OMEs.

OP, I'm sure you'll hear different opinions but my recommendation would be for the Fox shocks.

LVJK 11-30-2015 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigPrince (Post 4164775)
I've run the 3.5 GC with OME shocks over the past year and find the OME to be too way too soft. They didn't offer the Fox shocks when I bought my kit or I'd be running those. If I wasn't completely changing lifts in a couple months I'd buy the fox to replace my OMEs. OP, I'm sure you'll hear different opinions but my recommendation would be for the Fox shocks.

I have same lift and shocks on mine also and am very pleased with on/off road performance. Would buy same lift/shocks again and recommend to anyone who asks me about it.

O||||||O