Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MetalCloak, shocks?

Old 11-26-2015, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MetalCloak, shocks?

Fox?
OME?
Rock Sport?
What's the deal?
3 choices, but what are the intended purposes for each and associated ride/performance characteristics for each?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock sport is their brand and meant to be budget friendly. OME was all they offered at first. People didn't like the yellow and a lot of people like more choices, so they added Fox as well. OME will ride softer than Fox. You'd have to ask Metalcloak about the rock sport.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually asked them about shocks and the answer I received was that they are all valved about the same so ride will be very close. They now do the OME in black. People didn't like the yellow. They have two house shocks, six pack which is the top of line. If you run flats and want the most wheel travel up/down these are the shocks for you. OME/FOX are the middle of the road shocks and are a matter of preference between the two with Fox costing a little more. Their other house brand RockSports are a lower cost option vs the other three. I like the OME myself. Have them on my current Jeep.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Fox?
OME?
Rock Sport?
What's the deal?
3 choices, but what are the intended purposes for each and associated ride/performance characteristics for each?
TxJeepers summarized it very well.

Ultimately, our first choice for a shock that provided the overall ride quality and performance of the 6Pak without the additional travel was the Old Man Emu. In our Stiff Coil/Soft Shock philosophy the OME was a perfect synergy with our coils. As some customers did not like the yellow shocks, we learned that the Fox BDS Edition has similar valving. Even though the travel is less by a couple inches, the ride quality is the same if you choose the Fox Edition.

RockSports are very similar to the OME in overall ride quality and travel, but are budget friendly as an entry level shock.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that does help, thanks.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike H.
that does help, thanks.
do not get the rock sports. Horrible ride on road. Had bilstein before these and its night and day difference
Old 11-30-2015, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Fox BDS shocks with a 3 inch game changer and I completely satisfied. I drive it 50 miles a day to work on old 2 lane roads and I am very pleased with the ride. I had the remote adjustable Rancho 9000xl shocks on the previous rig and these are better than those on any setting. I don't have experience with the rest.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can't go wrong with OME and Fox. OME will provide a softer ride while FOX is firmer.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by carlojp
You can't go wrong with OME and Fox. OME will provide a softer ride while FOX is firmer.
I've run the 3.5 GC with OME shocks over the past year and find the OME to be too way too soft. They didn't offer the Fox shocks when I bought my kit or I'd be running those. If I wasn't completely changing lifts in a couple months I'd buy the fox to replace my OMEs.

OP, I'm sure you'll hear different opinions but my recommendation would be for the Fox shocks.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BigPrince
I've run the 3.5 GC with OME shocks over the past year and find the OME to be too way too soft. They didn't offer the Fox shocks when I bought my kit or I'd be running those. If I wasn't completely changing lifts in a couple months I'd buy the fox to replace my OMEs. OP, I'm sure you'll hear different opinions but my recommendation would be for the Fox shocks.
I have same lift and shocks on mine also and am very pleased with on/off road performance. Would buy same lift/shocks again and recommend to anyone who asks me about it.

O||||||O

Quick Reply: MetalCloak, shocks?