Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modification you regret. What do you wish you didn't do today?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My MBRP exhaust. Tired of the noise, and had them mail me a new one after the muffler started to leak. The piping that came with the kit was so rusted I had to pay $140 to get it fixed.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I would have sprung for 37s from the start. About to sell my duratracs 35s. MTRs will be here Wednesday. I should have bought a full rear bumper/tire carrier combo instead of the pita or-fab carrier. Well built, but holy shit hard to install. The other is buying a 2011 instead of waiting 6 months for a 2012,
Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Lange side mirrors: entirely useless. No visibility. Whistle while driving. Shake endlessly.

Bestop Safari top: not compatible with their own Duster cover, makes sounds like a cracking bullwhip as you drive and the fabric flaps in the wind. Worse that getting rained on and a sunburn.
I second putting more money in to building ar's and ammo than my jeep, now.
Worse regret, is not know that the 3.6 was coming in the 2012. I would have waited before buy my 2011.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by nmoldie
Muffler. First I bought a Dynomax VT and it sounded like a ricer. Then I went with Flowmaster Turbo. I don't remember the model. Again, too loud and ricey for this old timer. So...Almost $400 later still got a noisy muffler. I just want a muffler that will give me some soft mellow sound.
JeepSWAG/Dominion Offroad. Brett Woods (owner) was so disappointed with how loud aftermarket mufflers are that he commissioned production of his own, custom muffler. All stainless steel--brackets, clamps, welds, everything--100%. Very nice note; no highway drone. Cons: Must relocate evap canister. Expensive. No 3.6L because so few folks bought his 3.8L version. Too many folks into obnoxious, I guess.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gibson GP403S-C Performance Headers

Nothing wrong with the headers per se. But the supplied collector bolts shake loose again and again. Not sure if that's better over cracked OEM manifolds.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sebastian
Gibson GP403S-C Performance Headers Nothing wrong with the headers per se. But the supplied collector bolts shake loose again and again. Not sure if that's better over cracked OEM manifolds.
green locktite?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

RC lift. Ride is absolutely horrible. It got me up in the air, but I can tell Ill be swapping parts out in the future. How can people say this rides like stock?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Which kit did you get? I got the RC series ii lift and I think it rides just fine. Very comparable to my stock Jeep.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
green locktite?
I went with flanged self locking nuts (not nylon lock nuts) but have no experience with them yet. The mechanic at my local Jeep shop recommended them.

Those flanged nuts are somehow crimped or squeezed together on the last few threads. The mechanic has installed them for me while he replaced the broken fuel pump on my Jeep. Last time I was at the shop, we went over the progress. The nuts looked like this one:

Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default disagree ! with starting from simplest.

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
For me, the opposite. I replaced axles, gears, lockers, whole drivetrain so Rubi extra cost was a waste. Heck, I didn't even save the hood stickers! I did get some extra $ for the used D 44's though.
Also bought new off the lot with a dealer installed Mopar lift. That was replaced within a year. As were the dealer installed 34" tires. Total waste. Start with the simplest and build from there.
that's why I traded my sport didn't have the stuff that comes with a rubicon ( if your building something to drop of rocks I could see replacing but over all I see no sence of changing everything that came with rubicon )
4.10s and low transfer case, e. sway bar , d 44s , lockers , or stickers , some people are happy with a stock sport for that matter . I see more stock ones on the road than modified here in the north . I liked the simplicity of my 2011 motor over the complex 3.6 in my 12 that's kinda a regret ! cant even change plugs in the 3.6 I think its stupid

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-15-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Modification you regret. What do you wish you didn't do today?