Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Modify overdrive switch?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modify overdrive switch?

For auto folks like me that use our JK's as a daily driver and commute mainly on rolling hills, is there a way to modify the od switch to be off by default and on only when turned on by the switch?
After putting on larger rubber, the od really sucks. I'm sure DC could reprogram the od software, but after chatting with the service guys at the nearest decent dealer, evidently they won't.:sad:
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LakeTravisJK
For auto folks like me that use our JK's as a daily driver and commute mainly on rolling hills, is there a way to modify the od switch to be off by default and on only when turned on by the switch?
After putting on larger rubber, the od really sucks. I'm sure DC could reprogram the od software, but after chatting with the service guys at the nearest decent dealer, evidently they won't.:sad:
I have wanted this on every OD vehicle I have owned. I hope someone knows a way to do this.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Pardon my ignorance but what is the negative impact of performance with overdrive on?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LakeTravisJK

It's funny you brought this up. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. The approach I was thinking about was to reverse the wires on the o/d switch. So instead of always on it is always off and you would have to push the button to turn it on. Makes sense to me but have not had the time to take the shifter apart to get to the switch.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4JEXEP4
It's funny you brought this up. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. The approach I was thinking about was to reverse the wires on the o/d switch. So instead of always on it is always off and you would have to push the button to turn it on. Makes sense to me but have not had the time to take the shifter apart to get to the switch.

Is it a momentary switch or a toggle?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Is it a momentary switch or a toggle?

It's neither. It's a round button the size of a nickle. You push it and the o/d goes off, then push it again for it to come back on. Also if you turn it off then turn the motor off, when you turn the motor back on the o/d will be back on. So I don't know if it triggers something in the computer or just is a +/- switch.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4JEXEP4
It's neither. It's a round button the size of a nickle. You push it and the o/d goes off, then push it again for it to come back on. Also if you turn it off then turn the motor off, when you turn the motor back on the o/d will be back on. So I don't know if it triggers something in the computer or just is a +/- switch.

Oh, i know what and where it is, i have an Auto as well, i am just curious if the switch is physically just a momentary contact, or a toggle. If it is a momentary contact (which by my guess and the way it operates it likely is) then switching the wires will have no effect whatsover.

I really am curious, if there is a way to do it, i may well do this as well.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Oh, i know what and where it is, i have an Auto as well, i am just curious if the switch is physically just a momentary contact, or a toggle. If it is a momentary contact (which by my guess and the way it operates it likely is) then switching the wires will have no effect whatsover.

I really am curious, if there is a way to do it, i may well do this as well.

Oh, sorry. I'll know more when I get more time to fiddle around with it, that is if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

I believe it is a momentary switch, or it would not reset at restart.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Could you make a momentary switch into a toggle?

Quick Reply: Modify overdrive switch?