Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mopar Hood Lock Arrived

Old 08-26-2007, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So far I am not impressed.

I "installed" the hood lock and just a couple of wire ties to hold in in place. I will be at the dealer tomorrow so I figured they could do a quick rivet squeeze.

But you can still open the hood even with the lock latched. The key turns an arm that moves into the catch on the hood release. The arm is supposed to prevent the hood release from releasing to lift the hood. But you can still push the hood release and open the hood. There are no adjustments noted in the instructions. Now I have not put the grill back on so maybe the theory is that you can not get a finger in there to move the hood release to the left. SO I could use a ruler or some sort of similar device and open the hood just like sans lock. Looks like an expensive piece of crap at the moment unless I am missing something here.

We'll see what the dealer says.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lock1.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2980   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock2.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2981  
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
actually, any decent alarm comes with a back-up battery (maybe not the factory one), so that the electrical can't be cut to shut it down - the back-up keeps the alarm blaring.

maybe it is the parts of the country i have lived in, but i've never heard of anyone having a battery or anything else from under the hood stolen.
I've lived in 8 states and grew up in Tennessee. I have had family and friends in TN get more batteries lifted than all other place combined. That was in rural counties also in the yard with the risk of being shot if caught. The only thing I've ever had stollen of a car was wheels & tires . . . in the driveway in Louisville, KY. My neighbor got his stereo stollen the same night . . . he and his roomie were cops.

My point is you can be 5-finger discounted any time any place if you aren't prepared. An Optima battery would definately be motivation for punks. That said, I sleep with the doors unlocked.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Any pics of the install from the front of the Jeep? If you've got a grill guard I'm assuming you can't run it then correct? As it looks as though you'd put the key through the grill to unlock.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patchules
. . .

But you can still open the hood even with the lock latched. The key turns an arm that moves into the catch on the hood release. The arm is supposed to prevent the hood release from releasing to lift the hood. But you can still push the hood release and open the hood. There are no adjustments noted in the instructions. Now I have not put the grill back on so maybe the theory is that you can not get a finger in there to move the hood release to the left. SO I could use a ruler or some sort of similar device and open the hood just like sans lock. Looks like an expensive piece of crap at the moment unless I am missing something here.

We'll see what the dealer says.
That's pretty bad for $139!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I wouldn't be able to use it anyway with my MasterCraft grill inserts...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Any pics of the install from the front of the Jeep? If you've got a grill guard I'm assuming you can't run it then correct? As it looks as though you'd put the key through the grill to unlock.
I was going to be at the dealer today but it is now tomorrow so I have not put the grill back on. And yes, the keyhole is at the top in one of the slots. A grill insert would probably have to be cut for the key. I will do some pics of the completed install assuming we can get to the point where I can't easily defeat the lock.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, $139 is more and a battery cost! There are some cheaper solutions....for example:

Quadratech $20 hood lock for JK
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_02.htm

And... the eBay option @$35
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2dr-4dr-Unlimited-HOOD-LOCK_W0QQitemZ230165596828QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42611 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2dr-4dr-Unlimited-HOOD-LOCK_W0QQitemZ230165596828QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42611 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by doojer; 09-24-2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: edited non-sponsor link
Old 08-28-2007, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matthew2000tx
Well, $139 is more and a battery cost! There are some cheaper solutions....for example:

Quadratech $20 hood lock for JK
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_02.htm

And... the eBay option @$35
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2dr-4dr-Unlimited-HOOD-LOCK_W0QQitemZ230165596828QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42611 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2dr-4dr-Unlimited-HOOD-LOCK_W0QQitemZ230165596828QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42611 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Yes, these locks exist. It took me 5 minutes to defeat the $20 hood lock that I got from Quadratech for my 05 Unlimited. And none of these locks are keyed to the ignition key. I am at the dealer now returning the lock. The parts dept is trying to research the lock and find out what is going on. It allows the hood to pop up far enough to release the safety catch to open the hood.

Stay tuned.....

Edit. The lock has been returned. The parts guy is making phone calls to try to find out why this does not work. While I have not been on I95 to check for hood wiggle from truck encounters, I do not see how the lock would stop this. It does not snug the hood center down any tighter, you can release the side latches and the hood can be lifted. Not as much as without the "lock" but still can be lifted.

Last edited by Patchules; 08-28-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Patchules
Yes, these locks exist. It took me 5 minutes to defeat the $20 hood lock that I got from Quadratech for my 05 Unlimited. And none of these locks are keyed to the ignition key. I am at the dealer now returning the lock. The parts dept is trying to research the lock and find out what is going on. It allows the hood to pop up far enough to release the safety catch to open the hood.

Stay tuned.....
I would just like to know if it stops the hood from wiggling when you pass a rig on the highway?!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
actually, any decent alarm comes with a back-up battery (maybe not the factory one), so that the electrical can't be cut to shut it down - the back-up keeps the alarm blaring.

maybe it is the parts of the country i have lived in, but i've never heard of anyone having a battery or anything else from under the hood stolen.
Here in So Cal the punks and little chumps , and gang banger wanna be's will f'up a vehicle outside and under the hood just for the hell of it. And the shoot you if you tell them to stop.
Ah, California, I have 8 handguns, all legal and I can't protect my self or my property out side my home. But the punks can f'up anything they want , shoot you and pretty much get away with it. F'ing Liberals and illegal immigrants who run this state.

My family and I hope to move in 5 yrs. Lived in SoCal all my life, but its time to go. Any suggestions for a more "gun friendly" state that has great sunny weather most of the yr and is more rural?

Quick Reply: Mopar Hood Lock Arrived