JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   MOPAR warranty and cold air intakes?.... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/mopar-warranty-cold-air-intakes-168785/)

NoVAJKU 03-15-2011 05:46 AM

MOPAR warranty and cold air intakes?....

Hey there, just wanted to get some input from anyone that has installed a cold air intake in their JK/ JKU. Does a cold air intake void the warranty from MOPAR? I have convinced myself to get an intake, but want to first do the cautious thing and make sure my warranty remains in place. Thanks for the feedback.

ConroeJK 03-15-2011 06:55 AM

It's been discussed on here before through the years, the general feeling is, no. It shouldn't void your warranty. However, several guys on here have experienced Hydro-lock while running the "cold air" intake, minus the stock air box with some sort of cone filter. The odd thing about theses occurrences, they have been reported in wet driving conditions, not water crossings. Lots of jeeps on here run hi flow systems with no issues, but if this did occur I can see the dealership voiding you due to the mod. I just went with a K/N drop in filter. Most systems are not true "cold air" intakes because they are sucking air in from under the hood.
True cold air would be a snorkel.

NoVAJKU 03-15-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ConroeJK (Post 2164074)
It's been discussed on here before through the years, the general feeling is, no. It shouldn't void your warranty. However, several guys on here have experienced Hydro-lock while running the "cold air" intake, minus the stock air box with some sort of cone filter. The odd thing about theses occurrences, they have been reported in wet driving conditions, not water crossings. Lots of jeeps on here run hi flow systems with no issues, but if this did occur I can see the dealership voiding you due to the mod. I just went with a K/N drop in filter. Most systems are not true "cold air" intakes because they are sucking air in from under the hood.
True cold air would be a snorkel.

Thanks Bill. I went with the Banks air intake that has a filter box. I appreciate the feedback.

saravonshep 03-15-2011 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by NoVAJKU (Post 2164158)
Thanks Bill. I went with the Banks air intake that has a filter box. I appreciate the feedback.

How do you like the banks air intake, i was thinking about getting that on my jeep. Do you have any pics of it installed, would love to see them. Have you noticed ant difference on the gas usage, power, torque.

gmuddy 03-21-2011 11:25 AM

A CAI will void the engine warranty, if there is a problem with the engine. It can't void the warranty on the whole vehicle, only the componentes that are effected by the modification.

So a CAI can't void a suspension claim or an AC claim, only the engine.

Yamaha90 03-21-2011 11:28 AM

Or you could just get the Mopar Cold Air Intake kit, and it should still be warrantied because it's an optional kit and can be dealer installed. A local dealership has put this kit in a few Jeeps.

but if you're going with the banks sytstem that has the box and should be fine. There is no way the dealership can refuse to fix an oil leak because you have a cold air intake.

If you hydro-lock your engine they would still not cover it even with the stock box because you would be "using the vehicle in other ways than intended". Thats when you go through insurance.

cybersymes 03-21-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by NoVAJKU (Post 2164158)

any chance of pix of this setup...
i'd like cold air intake but i've heard horror stories about poor cone performance...
and accelerated engine wear because of it.:naw:

Runewolf1973 03-22-2011 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by NoVAJKU (Post 2163979)
Hey there, just wanted to get some input from anyone that has installed a cold air intake in their JK/ JKU. Does a cold air intake void the warranty from MOPAR? I have convinced myself to get an intake, but want to first do the cautious thing and make sure my warranty remains in place. Thanks for the feedback.

I asked the Chrysler dealership this before. They said that it possibly could void the warranty on the engine, so be cautious.