Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOPAR warranty and cold air intakes?....

Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post MOPAR warranty and cold air intakes?....

Hey there, just wanted to get some input from anyone that has installed a cold air intake in their JK/ JKU. Does a cold air intake void the warranty from MOPAR? I have convinced myself to get an intake, but want to first do the cautious thing and make sure my warranty remains in place. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been discussed on here before through the years, the general feeling is, no. It shouldn't void your warranty. However, several guys on here have experienced Hydro-lock while running the "cold air" intake, minus the stock air box with some sort of cone filter. The odd thing about theses occurrences, they have been reported in wet driving conditions, not water crossings. Lots of jeeps on here run hi flow systems with no issues, but if this did occur I can see the dealership voiding you due to the mod. I just went with a K/N drop in filter. Most systems are not true "cold air" intakes because they are sucking air in from under the hood.
True cold air would be a snorkel.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
It's been discussed on here before through the years, the general feeling is, no. It shouldn't void your warranty. However, several guys on here have experienced Hydro-lock while running the "cold air" intake, minus the stock air box with some sort of cone filter. The odd thing about theses occurrences, they have been reported in wet driving conditions, not water crossings. Lots of jeeps on here run hi flow systems with no issues, but if this did occur I can see the dealership voiding you due to the mod. I just went with a K/N drop in filter. Most systems are not true "cold air" intakes because they are sucking air in from under the hood.
True cold air would be a snorkel.
Thanks Bill. I went with the Banks air intake that has a filter box. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NoVAJKU
Thanks Bill. I went with the Banks air intake that has a filter box. I appreciate the feedback.
How do you like the banks air intake, i was thinking about getting that on my jeep. Do you have any pics of it installed, would love to see them. Have you noticed ant difference on the gas usage, power, torque.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

A CAI will void the engine warranty, if there is a problem with the engine. It can't void the warranty on the whole vehicle, only the componentes that are effected by the modification.

So a CAI can't void a suspension claim or an AC claim, only the engine.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you could just get the Mopar Cold Air Intake kit, and it should still be warrantied because it's an optional kit and can be dealer installed. A local dealership has put this kit in a few Jeeps.

but if you're going with the banks sytstem that has the box and should be fine. There is no way the dealership can refuse to fix an oil leak because you have a cold air intake.

If you hydro-lock your engine they would still not cover it even with the stock box because you would be "using the vehicle in other ways than intended". Thats when you go through insurance.

Last edited by Yamaha90; 03-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any chance of pix of this setup...
i'd like cold air intake but i've heard horror stories about poor cone performance...
and accelerated engine wear because of it.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there, just wanted to get some input from anyone that has installed a cold air intake in their JK/ JKU. Does a cold air intake void the warranty from MOPAR? I have convinced myself to get an intake, but want to first do the cautious thing and make sure my warranty remains in place. Thanks for the feedback.
I asked the Chrysler dealership this before. They said that it possibly could void the warranty on the engine, so be cautious.

Quick Reply: MOPAR warranty and cold air intakes?....